Topic: iRedMail Roadmap

Hi, all.

Below is iRedMail roadmap for next 8 months, suggestions are always welcome.

And we hope you can donate us to make this project continue exists and keep moving.

• 2009-10-01: iRedMail-0.5.1 -release.

• 2009-10-09 ~ 2010-02-10: iRedMail-0.6.0 -release. Focus on:

• PostgreSQL support.

• Upgrade policyd to 2.x. As i said before, this is not a simple upgrade, but like a new component. We need more time to test it and write upgrade tutorial.

• Try to make iRedMail work on FreeBSD (Which distribution do you prefer?), but no promise.

Any questions/suggestions?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by Suno Ano 2009-09-03 19:55:45)

Re: iRedMail Roadmap

1)
Will the Admin Panel be part of iRedMail-0.5.1already?

2)
About supporting several Database backends: I have come to the conclusion that a non SQL database that allows for replication is going to be the Database for all my future projects. Namely, I already started to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couchdb

- replication out of the box i.e. syncing two our more couchdb instances on different computers
- build-in web server i.e. no more need for Apache etc.
- HTTP API
- no fixed schema as with SQL databases
- simple JSON data format/types http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
- etc.

3)
About ACL. Why exactly is it needed? What does it do? Does the mailbox quota feature depend on it?

4)
About afore mentioned mailbox Quota:
- those types of quota are handled by dovecot right? I know /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from what I can tell, it should be the only file/place where one needs to change things with regards to quota settings right?
- the types of quota I know are those listed in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf i.e. storage, messages, bytes, backend, etc. However, those are per user afaict right? What other types of do we have? per domain? anything else?
- why do we have ../tools/dovecot-quota-warning.sh? From what I can tell, it's triggered from within /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf automatically no? see     quota_warning = storage=85%% /usr/bin/dovecot-quota-warning.sh 85 for example

5)
afaik, Mailing Lists are possible using the LDAP backend. I figure the admin panel will allow to create mailing lists. This however will only be possible using the enterprise version of the admin panel yes? I hope not i.e. it would be great if the open source version would support creating mailing lists too.

Suno Ano wrote:

Will the Admin Panel be part of iRedMail-0.5.1already?

We will ship it when it is considered stable enough.

Suno Ano wrote:

About supporting several Database backends: I have come to the conclusion that a non SQL database that allows for replication is going to be the Database for all my future projects. Namely, I already started to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couchdb

- replication out of the box i.e. syncing two our more couchdb instances on different computers
- build-in web server i.e. no more need for Apache etc.
- HTTP API
- no fixed schema as with SQL databases
- simple JSON data format/types http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
- etc.

There may be some more better database solutions, but not all mail server related components support them.
So we have to forget them.

Suno Ano wrote:

About ACL. Why exactly is it needed? What does it do? Does the mailbox quota feature depend on it?

ACL is used to protect SSL key, amavisd DKIM pem files, it's NOT recommend to make them world-readable.
But in -current, iRedMail will make them world-readable when ACL is not available, so that you can complete installation.

Mailbox quota doesn't depend on it.

Suno Ano wrote:

About afore mentioned mailbox Quota:
- those types of quota are handled by dovecot right? I know /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from what I can tell, it should be the only file/place where one needs to change things with regards to quota settings right?

Right.

Mailbox quota is MDA's business. (MDA -> Mail Deliver Agent)

Suno Ano wrote:

- the types of quota I know are those listed in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf i.e. storage, messages, bytes, backend, etc. However, those are per user afaict right? What other types of do we have? per domain? anything else?

Only per-user quota is available. Per-domain quota is implemented and can only be implemented in Admin Panel.

Suno Ano wrote:

- why do we have ../tools/dovecot-quota-warning.sh? From what I can tell, it's triggered from within /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf automatically no? see     quota_warning = storage=85%% /usr/bin/dovecot-quota-warning.sh 85 for example

When mailbox is full, further mails can't be delivered into mailbox, so we have to notice user about mailbox usage.
And dovecot-quota-warning.sh is invoked by dovecot (setting in dovecot.conf), actually, it's invoked by 'deliver' MDA.

Suno Ano wrote:

afaik, Mailing Lists are possible using the LDAP backend. I figure the admin panel will allow to create mailing lists. This however will only be possible using the enterprise version of the admin panel yes? I hope not i.e. it would be great if the open source version would support creating mailing lists too.

No plan to implement mail list in open source edition yet.

4 (edited by Suno Ano 2009-09-04 04:10:39)

Suno Ano wrote:

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

No plan to implement mail list in open source edition yet.

It would be a great thing though (You asked for suggestions smile )!

For now, how do I set up a mailing list with the LDAP backend without using the Admin Panel at all? I searched but didn't find a howto.

Suno Ano wrote:

It would be a great thing though (You asked for suggestions smile )!

Hope it will be added in 0.2-release.

For now, how do I set up a mailing list with the LDAP backend without using the Admin Panel at all? I searched but didn't find a howto.

Check this post:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic216- … oblem.html

how about a upgrade to dovecot 1.2.x? it is much more rfc compliant than 1.1.x and the new sieve extension is much more powerfull. upgrade isn't also a hard thing only minor changes in configuration files.

BigMichi1 wrote:

how about a upgrade to dovecot 1.2.x? it is much more rfc compliant than 1.1.x and the new sieve extension is much more powerfull. upgrade isn't also a hard thing only minor changes in configuration files.

That would be great if users can contribute documents. smile

We have to release admin panel first, and waiting for dovecot-1.2.x to be more stable. smile

create a script for easy update of the previous version of the current

0.5.1 definitely coming tomorrow? or shouldn't I bother and install 0.5.0 today?

peterpp wrote:

0.5.1 definitely coming tomorrow? or shouldn't I bother and install 0.5.0 today?

I think you can use 0.50 install and update to 0.51, because the 0.51 just fix some bug.

thanks allot for the hard work i really cant wait for the FreeBSD support my favorite OS wink

smooth wrote:

thanks allot for the hard work i really cant wait for the FreeBSD support my favorite OS wink

We need your help to make iRedMail work on FreeBSD. I will post a new topic to discuss this.

Hi, smooth.

I posted a new topic here:

- Help needed: Migrate iRedMail to FreeBSD or other Distros
  http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic425- … stros.html

Please help us if you are interesting in migrating iRedMail to FreeBSD. smile