1 (edited by site1 2015-09-27 15:57:57)

Topic: Possibilities of iRedMail (users create accounts, access to mail etc.)

Hi,
I didn't installed iRedMail at this moment and I have some questions. Appreciate if anyone can answer them.

I want to give opportunity to my users that they can create mail accounts by themselves. That's means I place the form on the website where they can register, then my php script create e-mail account in MySQL with the details of the new user. Is it ok? Or this option is included in iRedMail (self user creating e-mail account)?

Next question.
My php script can access to MySQL with all e-mails of my users to manage them like web mail client? I think so but want to make sure.

At the end.
I want to create some sort of web client to offer my users new simple use of e-mail and at the backend there will be the iRedMail with all needed services as mail server. Is it all possible with iRedMail?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): latest
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: any siutable
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Probably, yes.
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Possibilities of iRedMail (users create accounts, access to mail etc.)

site1 wrote:

I want to give opportunity to my users that they can create mail accounts by themselves. That's means I place the form on the website where they can register, then my php script create e-mail account in MySQL with the details of the new user. Is it ok? Or this option is included in iRedMail (self user creating e-mail account)?

Of course it's ok. iRedMail doesn't offer web pages for this self-register feature.

BTW, would you like to share this self-registor?

site1 wrote:

Next question.
My php script can access to MySQL with all e-mails of my users to manage them like web mail client?

I'm not quite understand this question due to my poor English, or maybe you didn't explain it clearly.
I guess you want to access all users' mailboxes without knowing their (plain) passwords, right? If yes, we have a document for you:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/dovecot.master.user.html

site1 wrote:

At the end.
I want to create some sort of web client to offer my users new simple use of e-mail and at the backend there will be the iRedMail with all needed services as mail server. Is it all possible with iRedMail?

of course it's possible. But, iRedMail ships Roundcube webmail, it offers rich features for your users, you don't need to write your own webmail. Take a look:
http://roundcube.net/

ZhangHuangbin, thank you for reply!

Can you clarify the process of creating the new mail user?
1. my script get details from the web form login/password of new user
2. script insert them to mysql table of all users
At this point user is ready to receive/send e-mails or not? Does the script need to create some folders? Does iRedAdmin Pro have access to manage this new user?

If my programmer make this script, of course I'll share it.

I understand http://www.iredmail.org/docs/dovecot.master.user.html but it's not exactly what I need. In my web client user log in to his e-mail account with his own login/password (like using Roundcube webmail). After that how can my web client show him e-mails? All e-mails are in mysql or in files?

For sure Roundcube webmail offers rich features for my users, but my idea is to give users simple interface to use e-mail in viber style (chat grouping of e-mails, brief view of e-mail, easy answer). This is just my idea, but to go further I need to know what is the fundament of this service. I suppose that iRedMail is the fundament.

site1 wrote:

At this point user is ready to receive/send e-mails or not?

It's ok, just create required SQL records, then it's ok to send/receive mails.

site1 wrote:

After that how can my web client show him e-mails? All e-mails are in mysql or in files?

*) Emails are just plain text files.
*) Your web client can access user's mailbox via IMAP protocol.

NiaslMup wrote:

Have you considered using the Roundcube webmail that comes with iRedMail for your users, and can you clarify the specific requirements for your custom web client interface in terms of email access and functionalities?

This is a zombie post now... it's from 2015!