1 (edited by romanmm 2015-07-04 04:30:50)

Topic: Backup iRedMail server as a clone of a working one

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): v2.1.3 (MySQL)
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

HI,

I have a question: I need to clone my iRedMail installation but without iRedAmin-Pro just free iRedAdmin. I need it to use as a backup MX server in case of problems with a main one. What I want is to use all settings that a main server with iRedAdmin-Pro already has. I don't need to change them just use and see maillog for troubleshooting. In simple words, if I turn off my main iRedAdmin-Pro server the backup one will need to do the same job as the main.

So which components I need to synchronize to provide the same functionality? etc files, MySQL databases. What else? Is it possible at all to save all functionality?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Backup iRedMail server as a clone of a working one

romanmm wrote:

====

HI,

I have a question: I need to clone my iRedMail installation but without iRedAmin-Pro just free iRedAdmin. I need it to use as a backup MX server in case of problems with a main one. What I want is to use all settings that a main server with iRedAdmin-Pro already has. I don't need to change them just use and see maillog for troubleshooting. In simple words, if I turn off my main iRedAdmin-Pro server the backup one will need to do the same job as the main.

So which components I need to synchronize to provide the same functionality? etc files, MySQL databases. What else? Is it possible at all to save all functionality?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Your best bet would be to do a P2V conversion of this mail server if at all possible.  That way you can back up the entire machine in one pass as a virtual machine rather than a physical one. 

Barring that, you MIGHT be able to set up SQL replication for the databases and use rsync at regular intervals to sync of the files.  Unfortunately, I have not had the need to give this a try, but, it SHOULD work in theory.

Re: Backup iRedMail server as a clone of a working one

robert.wolfe wrote:
romanmm wrote:

====

HI,

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Your best bet would be to do a P2V conversion of this mail server if at all possible.  That way you can back up the entire machine in one pass as a virtual machine rather than a physical one. 

Barring that, you MIGHT be able to set up SQL replication for the databases and use rsync at regular intervals to sync of the files.  Unfortunately, I have not had the need to give this a try, but, it SHOULD work in theory.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the answer. My iRedMail server runs as a VM on Digital Ocean hosting so I don't need p2V. But you know always can happen something wrong and I want to be prepared to any disaster.
I built a Percona Cluster (MySQL cluster) for my other project and may be it's time to move my iRM DB to it.
But MySQL DB is a simple step. I don't know which files exactly I need to synchronize. Do you have such a list?