Topic: iredapd 1.5.0 still stopping

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.1
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): apache
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: centos 7.1
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: none
====

You already closed the thread http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic9183 … blems.html

However the patch does not work. Still iredapd is stopping without any warning or logentry.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iredapd 1.5.0 still stopping

Could you please download and upgrade to the latest development version and try again?
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredapd/downloads (click "Download repository" to get the latest development version, then rename extracted directory name to 'iRedAPD-1.6.0', execute she'll script 'tools/upgrade_iredapd.sh' in this directory)

Thank you for the fast reply. Although I already applied the latest development build i did it again and we will see what happens.

I planned to release iRedMail-0.9.2 tomorrow (June 1), I will wait for you for one more day. Please do let me know whether or not this issue occurs again.

It is 23 hours now without iredapd stopping. This sounds promissing. So whatever has been chaned in the last build seem to have fixed it.

I got the same problem but mine was only on weekend (just when the server have less traffic). Latest was this Sunday at 17h.

I'll try the latest development version to see if is working.

Greetings!!

Hello,
I am also seeing this issue on 1.5, but it seems only once a week for the last 2 weeks.
Both times on a Sunday.
The logs show a connection refused to port 7777, once I restart ireadapd its working again.

deejc wrote:

Hello,
I am also seeing this issue on 1.5, but it seems only once a week for the last 2 weeks.
Both times on a Sunday.
The logs show a connection refused to port 7777, once I restart ireadapd its working again.

This is normal as part of logrotate. See /etc/logrotate.d/iredapd

no it is not, it does not restart iredapd and so every connection is refused.

Dear all,

Do you still have this issue with the latest iRedAPD development version? Please reply to confirm this. Otherwise i'm ready to release iRedMail-0.9.2.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Dear all,

Do you still have this issue with the latest iRedAPD development version? Please reply to confirm this. Otherwise i'm ready to release iRedMail-0.9.2.

Unfortunately it seems I had an unexpected restart made by my monitor today:
Made by logrote: 2015-06-01 06:25:17 INFO Starting iRedAPD (version: 1.5.0, backend: ldap), listening on 127.0.0.1:7777.
Made by my monitor: 2015-06-01 14:37:01 INFO Starting iRedAPD (version: 1.5.0, backend: ldap), listening on 127.0.0.1:7777.

Any log in iRedAPD log file? search string 'error' should be enough:

# grep -i 'error' /var/log/iredapd.log

The one restarted by logrotate is expected, but the one by your monitor is unexpected.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Nothing.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

The one restarted by logrotate is expected, but the one by your monitor is unexpected.

yep, aware of that. Just to show the history.

mir wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Nothing.

Forgot to mention that I have extended error logging enabled in iredapd.py:

# Starting loop.
    try:
        # There's a bug report for Python 2.6/3.0 that `use_poll=True` yields
        # some 2.5 incompatibilities:
        if (sys.version_info >= (2, 7) and sys.version_info < (2, 8)) \
           or (sys.version_info >= (3, 4)):     # if python 2.7 ...
            # workaround for the "Bad file descriptor" issue on Python 2.7, gh-161
            asyncore.loop(use_poll=True)
        else:
            # fixes the "Unexpected communication problem" issue on Python 2.6 and 3.0
            asyncore.loop(use_poll=False)

except KeyboardInterrupt:
        pass
    except Exception, e:
    logging.info('Error: ' + str(e))

I suspect therefore that the bug should be traced in one of the plugins since iredapd stops before reaching the last exception handler.

mir wrote:

except Exception, e:
    logging.info('Error: ' + str(e))

Do you have proper indent in the second line? It should be 8 spaces before 'logging.info(...)'.

except KeyboardInterrupt:
        pass
    except Exception, e:
        logging.info('Error in asyncore.loop: ' + str(e))          # <- 8 spaces, not tab.

Yes, indent is correct. If indent was not correct I would expect to get an error and the application wouldn't start.

mir wrote:

I suspect therefore that the bug should be traced in one of the plugins since iredapd stops before reaching the last exception handler.

Good catch. Please apply this patch, if plugin has something wrong, it will be logged.

diff -r 34bbf2dad80d libs/utils.py
--- a/libs/utils.py    Sat May 30 12:24:45 2015 +0800
+++ b/libs/utils.py    Mon Jun 01 23:54:36 2015 +0800
@@ -25,7 +25,7 @@
         action = plugin.restriction(**kwargs)
         logging.debug('<-- Result: %s' % action)
     except Exception, e:
-        logging.debug('<!> Error: %s' % str(e))
+        logging.info('<!> Error applying plugin %s: %s' % (plugin.__name__, str(e)))

return action

18 (edited by mir 2015-06-02 02:26:13)

Patch added but nothing suspicious logged. I think the bug is hidden somewhere in one of the plugins which occasionally emerges and causes one the plugins to crash. The crash is apparently catch somewhere by an exception handler which doesn't log anything when run normally or even worse and exception handler looking like this:
except Exception[, e]:
        pass

This has the result that upper layer exception handlers see this as a normal exit and stops iredapd normally resulting in no login taken place.

Plugins loaded:
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: reject_null_sender
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: ldap_maillist_access_policy
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: ldap_amavisd_block_blacklisted_senders
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: ldap_recipient_restrictions
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: amavisd_message_size_limit

mir wrote:

2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: ldap_amavisd_block_blacklisted_senders
2015-06-01 20:18:53 INFO Loading plugin: ldap_recipient_restrictions

These two plugins are depreciated, you should use plugin 'amavisd_wblist' instead.

I will try to add some more try...except... block in iredapd to catch possible errors.

Dear all, any update about iRedAPD issue?

I had restarts each about 3 hours since this saturday on the 1.5.0 - so I upgraded to the devel version.

- the problem seems to be on my server thightly connected to one of my customers. He reported occasional "451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem" server responses which seems to collerate with iRedAPd exits...
- if the problem is connected with a misbehiving plugin, it has to be sql_alias_access_policy

2 stable days now with the latest development release.

camel1cz wrote:

- if the problem is connected with a misbehiving plugin, it has to be sql_alias_access_policy

Any error message in iRedAPD log file? You can try this:

Also, could you try the latest development edition? it adds a try...except... block to log message if applied plugin raised some exception.

24 (edited by camel1cz 2015-06-02 22:56:59)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Any error message in iRedAPD log file? You can try this:

Nothing much, just the errors I already posted here (at least I think so) and probably not connected to this issue:

2015-06-02 10:41:09 DEBUG SQL: query access policy: SELECT accesspolicy, goto, moderators
            FROM alias
            WHERE
                address='address@example.com'
                AND address <> goto
                AND active=1
            LIMIT 1
2015-06-02 10:41:09 DEBUG <!> Error: 'Connection' object has no attribute 'fetchone'
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Also, could you try the latest development edition? it adds a try...except... block to log message if applied plugin raised some exception.

Sure, my server is running now on the latest snapshot of iRedAPd... will report anything unusual.

camel1cz wrote:

2015-06-02 10:41:09 DEBUG <!> Error: 'Connection' object has no attribute 'fetchone'

this is a bug in 1.5.0 and old development edition, but fixed in latest development version.