Topic: iRedMail port 993 won't work, defaulting to 143 STARTTLS is bad

Hi there,

iRedMail 0.90 won't work with port 993 by default with a self-signed certificate.

I've read that you recommended STARTTLS and thus IMAP over TLS on port 143. How do I make it so that it only works on port 993 by default? Thunderbird refused to connect to port 993 and I got a bunch of "no auth attemps" in dovecot.log. It will work only if it connects to port 143 with STARTTLS, and I'd like it to connect only with SSL/TLS and block port 143 by default. How do I do that? Here's the log:

May 05 05:33:27 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 1 secs): user=<>, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, TLS: SSL_read() failed: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48, session=<I/xxxxxxxx+>

Is this because the self-signed CA isn't there? If so, can we put ssl_ca = </etc/dovecot/private/iRedMail_CA.pem?

Also, in a scenario where there's a MITM, won't some mail client will try to connect with just plain text to 143 if SSL/TLS is unavailable. In my opinion, it should only function with port 993 by default and port 143 should be disabled (btw I've purchased iRedAdminPro under a different email address registered to this forum account)

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.