1 (edited by schnappi 2015-02-27 01:26:35)

Topic: Ubuntu 14 LTS forced nginx installation

A heads up.

As of 2/26/14 when running a manual update (sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade) on a 0.9.0 iRedMail server running apache on Ubtuntu 14 LTS the nginx package is defaulting to be installed.

If one proceeds with the install apache will show errors on startup and nginx will replace apache (which some probably don't want).

Been testing this program for the last couple of days and although personally prefer apache to nginx (apache 2.4 largely catches up with nginx in many ways in terms of speed and nginx is "freemium") this issue above is probably a good reason why only one web server should be supported by default in iRedMail going forward.

Post's attachments

demo.jpg
demo.jpg 119.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Ubuntu 14 LTS forced nginx installation

By the way though one could probably fix this pretty easily even if nginx installs by changing the ports it is listening on.

Thanks for sharing this

Wonder if those who had nginx installed had the same issue with apache being forced to be installed...

We did not. Running 14.04.1, running NGinx Exclusively, removed Apache Months back, it has not returned due to latest update. Must be exclusive to Apache only setups.

A iRedMail server running nginx on Ubuntu 14 just did the same thing (installed Apache) when using "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade".

Anyone have an explanation or experiencing the same issue?

Is it possible a Ubuntu packaging issue?

Probably but if the iRedMail script only dealt with one web server it would most likely resolve the issue.

Anyhow people need to be careful to read before they update a production server running Ubuntu or will have to fix this issue manually.

Do you running iRedMail-0.9.0? iRedMail-0.9.0 will install both Apache and Nginx, so it's normal if it upgrades Nginx.
But if you're running iRedMail-0.8.7 or earlier releases, it might be a packaging issue on ubuntu.

Looks like you're running iRedMail-0.9.0, right? Please ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS show us basic info of your iRedMail server when creating a NEW topic:

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

10 (edited by schnappi 2015-03-11 13:03:06)

The problem is that it messes up alias if you proceed with the upgrade (for example https://theserver/iredadmin doesn't work but https://theserver/mail does).

Additionally both web servers try to start on port 80 after the upgrade (which is a ton of fun to fix)!

Here is a screenshot of what occurs on a standard (non-customized) Ubuntu 14 LTS iRedMail server running nginx after running "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade" and installing the apache packages. As stated in the original post the same thing also occurred on a standard server running apache (nginx was installed).

Moral of the story. Until iRedMail adopts a single web server be careful what packages you allow to install when updating a production server.

http://i57.tinypic.com/dhadsh.jpg

7t3chguy wrote:

We did not. Running 14.04.1, running NGinx Exclusively, removed Apache Months back, it has not returned due to latest update. Must be exclusive to Apache only setups.

Does anyone have notes or a guide on changing apache to nginx specific for iRed ?
I would like to upgrade my release but am a bit nervious it will break my build..

Just install NGinx yourself, uwsgi, php5-fpm and then copy the relevant configs from Zhangs BitBucket

cre8r wrote:

Does anyone have notes or a guide on changing apache to nginx specific for iRed ?
I would like to upgrade my release but am a bit nervious it will break my build..

To upgrade ubuntu release, it's better to stay with Apache first, when you have all services running well, starting to migrate from Apache to Nginx.

Actually, it's just some nginx config files you need to copy (and replace some placeholder variables in config files).