Topic: Subject: Failure Notice emails with yahoo

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedAdmin-Pro    v1.8.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): (MySQL)
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: 12.04.1 LTS, Precise Pangolin
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A
====

Hi,
My team have been having an increase in calls about users receiving greylisting emails.
The greylisting is working great however when the end users get the email response below, it is causing support calls as they are not sure if the email is arriving or not..

It seems all of the customers calling are getting this with yahoo mail only....
Is this a configuration of yahoo's system to forward the response on?

This is silly as the email is still arriving , but the users are confused as to what has happened..

"Subject: Failure Notice
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
<redacted>:
Remote host said:
451 4.7.1 <redacted>: Recipient address rejected: Grey listing in
effect, please come back later  [RCPT_TO]"

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Subject: Failure Notice emails with yahoo

My team have been having an increase in calls about users receiving greylisting emails.

Theses responses are being received from yahoo users , from our mail system

Looks like this Yahoo mail server doesn't retry to deliver email when it got a 4xx return code.

A temporary solution is disabling greylisting for emails sent from yahoo, or just this yahoo server.

4 (edited by bmackay 2015-02-24 23:00:47)

I ran into this yesterday for the first time in many months.  On investigating, Yahoo does try to deliver again but randomly from their pool of SMTP servers.  Your local mail system is trying to establish a triad for white listing and they keep connecting with a different server so the triad is never determined.

Yahoo finally gives up and bounces the error back to the sender.

We have white listed the servers for major services like Hotmail, Gmail, Facebook and Twitter, but I haven't been able to find a current list for Yahoo.

Thanks for the reply all.

bmackay is right on the money.
Seems yahoo has changed something in the way they are dealing with the 4xx return.
I've noticed a few posts on yahoo's support, and various other sites about this same issue, starting a few days ago.

The volume of Yahoo email servers is insane, 584 unique IP addresses in 3 days have hit our server...

It sure doesn't seem like a good idea to whitelist blocks of Yahoo's IP space as we all know a large portion of junk comes from these big providers..

I would assume yahoo will be hammered with support about this so I'm hoping it will go away in time.......

However still thinking about viable solutions to make my customers happy..
If anyone (looking at you bmackay smile has any solutions or progress on this feel free to share the love.

Thanks

A temporary solution is disabling greylisting in Cluebringer config file (or SQL database), in the same time, enable DNSBL in Postfix to help reduce spam.

I've managed to get in contact with Yahoo. This is the reply:

"Thank you for your report. This is a temporary issue we expect to resolve soon.

Meanwhile https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/ya … sions=true
lists our IPs. Please ignore the addresses in private IP space."

This is a list of a couple of thousand IP Blocks... So I've decided to not add them and just inform our users of the cause.

Thanks all.

OK, a temporary issue. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately not temporary - we are still having the same issue.  The largest ISP in Nz used to be called xtra.co.nz. there are 10s of thousands on NZers with @xtra.co.nz email addresses and unfortuantely the most hacked services in Nz are also @xtra.co.nz / aka yahoo.

We have had to white list @xtra.co.nz emails but the spoofing / spam issue is raising our levels of filtering higher nad higher.

Unfirtunately it is typical yahoo service or complete lack of. They have laso been known to black list valid IPs, make it impossible to get out of their black lists generated as they have wrong information nad are a PITA to get any resolution from.

We will be contacting them via xtra to see if we can force a resolution.

Does the spam come from one or some of the Yahoo's outbound ips listed here?