1 (edited by martin.blom 2015-02-16 23:45:26)

Topic: LDAP (posixAccount) User Creation

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 7
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I am trying to connect our EMC Isilon storage to the iRedMail LDAP database for user authentication.

This didn't work as expected, so I talked to EMC support who explained that all users need to have an "objectClass: posixAccount" attribute, for the Isilon to recognize them.

I have an .ldif file with all our users, exported from our old LDAP (OD on OS X 10.6 Server). I tried to just add the "objectClass: posixAccount" line for every user in the file, but when I run 'slapadd' on the ldif it complains that: "object class 'posixAccount' requires attribute 'uidNumber'". I guess it will also need a 'gidNumber' for it to work.

'uidNumber' and 'gidNumber' have to be unique I'm sure? So, now my question is:

* How do I add my users (ca. 250) to iRedMail's LDAP, including the extra objectClass, uidNumber and gidNumber (with uid, and gid being unique)?

* And, how do I make sure that when I add new users with iRedAdmin-Pro, after the initial import, they get an 'objectClass:posixAccount' and a unique 'uidNumber' and 'gidNumber'?

I'm new at LDAP and scripting, so it's not easy for me to do this without help;

If it's too big a task, my company is willing to pay for a solution (code/script) made by you, ZhangHuangbin.

Thanks,
Martin

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: LDAP (posixAccount) User Creation

ZhangHuangbin,

I really need your help on this, please.

As iRedMail is our main user directory, we really need the Isilon to be able to read users/groups from the LDAP.

I think we need some extra objectClass attributes for it to work (posixAccount and posixGroup).

I have looked at 'iredldif.py' but I'm not sure how to modify it, to make it work.

Again, we are willing to pay you for your time, if needed.

Thanks

Dear Martin,

Sorry about the late reply, it's Chinese New Year here (just like Christmas in US / UK /...).

About your issue, I suggest you contact EMC support first, ask them whether it's able to set custom ldap query filter to query ldap server and return results. If it's ok, I think you don't need to add 'objectclass=posixaccount' for existing ldap users.

If objectclass=posixaccount is required, then we have to add it and other required ldap attribute/value pairs. This way, we need a little scripting skill to update existing ldap users, and we need to improve iRedAdmin-Pro to add required objectclass + attributes for new users automatically. 

It's hard to give more details without knowing your application settings, please contact me directly if you want: zhb _at_ iredmail.org

By the way, I'm available on BlackBerry Messenger if you use it too: pin:2BE0604F

Thanks for the reply!

I will send you an email now.