1 (edited by ebsllc 2015-02-05 03:20:49)

Topic: New to iRedMail and question on install with existing MySQL

Hi:

I am considering iRedMail on my AWS EC2, but I already have MySQL that is used for other things and I do not want start to from from clean OS/with no MySQL. The mail volume is expected to be very smal

Is there any particular reason iRedMail does not just add a DB for itself into the existing MySQL? It looks the only reason iRedMail needs MySQL is to store mail user info and I have the choice to store that in OpenLDAP and not MySQL. Is this my option?

I tried to install iRedMail on a blank EC2 instance which, according to /etc/os-release, is "rhel fedora" as a test to see whether it can leave MySQL untouched and use OpenLDAP. The install tells me this is an unsupported release. I had thought my OS is or very close to Redhat/CentOS. Anyone had experience installing on AWS EC2?

Thanks for your help.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: New to iRedMail and question on install with existing MySQL

ebsllc wrote:

Hi:

I am considering iRedMail on my AWS EC2, but I already have MySQL that is used for other things and I do not want start to from from clean OS/with no MySQL. The mail volume is expected to be very smal

Is there any particular reason iRedMail does not just add a DB for itself into the existing MySQL? It looks the only reason iRedMail needs MySQL is to store mail user info and I have the choice to store that in OpenLDAP and not MySQL. Is this my option?

I tried to install iRedMail on a blank EC2 instance which, according to /etc/os-release, is "rhel fedora" as a test to see whether it can leave MySQL untouched and use OpenLDAP. The install tells me this is an unsupported release. I had thought my OS is or very close to Redhat/CentOS. Anyone had experience installing on AWS EC2?

Thanks for your help.

Take a second to read through:
https://code.google.com/p/iredmail/wiki … ation_Tips
It is very possible and done often

As for the other part of your post, you will have to await Zhang, as I do not know the answer to that but google seems to suggest people have done it, so I expect it to work.
http://jeffreifman.com/how-to-install-y … -iredmail/
http://inboxs.com/?p=15

It's possible to install iRedMail with existing REMOTE MySQL server. Check this tutorial instead (the one gave by @7t3chguy is out of date):
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/install.ir … erver.html

If you want to install iRedMail on localhost with an existing MySQL server, try this:

1) Set MySQL root password to empty.
2) Type a new MySQL root password during iRedMail installation.

By the way, you can try this way instead:

1) Backup your existing SQL databases, and other data on your EC2.
2) Reinstall the OS to a fresh/clean/minimal server os supported by iRedMail.
3) Install iRedMail.
4) Restore backup SQL database and other data.

ebsllc wrote:

*) If this OS is Fedora, then you'd better not to try install iRedMail. Because iRedMail doesn't work with Fedora.
*) If it's CentOS 6 or 7, you can add file /etc/redhat-release with the same content in a standard CentOS system (see sample below), then install iRedMail.

CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core) 

iRedMail checks /etc/redhat-release (on RHEL/CentOS) to detect which Linux distribution you're running.

Note: I do not see Fedora listed in: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/b/26 … 2649367011

Never mind, they support Fedora, so it could be Fedora.

Q: What operating system environments are supported?

Amazon EC2 currently supports a variety of operating systems including: RedHat Linux, Windows Server, SuSE Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Cent OS, Gentoo Linux, Oracle Linux, and FreeBSD. We are looking for ways to expand it to other platforms in future releases.

Note#2, MySQL will be installed/used regardless of whether you use LDAP/MySQL as stuff such as RoundCube etc requires MySQL, correct me if I'm wrong Zhang

7t3chguy wrote:

Note#2, MySQL will be installed/used regardless of whether you use LDAP/MySQL as stuff such as RoundCube etc requires MySQL, correct me if I'm wrong Zhang

*) If you are trying to install iRedMail WITH a remote MySQL server, iRedMail WON'T install MySQL on localhost.
*) If you're performing a normal iRedMail installation (no remote MySQL server), iRedMail will install MySQL on localhost. But if you already have MySQL installed before iRedMail installation, package management tool (apt-get/yum) is smart enough to skip it although iRedMail specifies the package name ('yum install ... mysql-server ...').

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
7t3chguy wrote:

*) If you are trying to install iRedMail WITH a remote MySQL server, iRedMail WON'T install MySQL on localhost.
*) If you're performing a normal iRedMail installation (no remote MySQL server), iRedMail will install MySQL on localhost. But if you already have MySQL installed before iRedMail installation, package management tool (apt-get/yum) is smart enough to skip it although iRedMail specifies the package name ('yum install ... mysql-server ...').

What about if you are using LDAP for iRed, does MySQL/MariaDB get installed for other things such as Roundcube?

7t3chguy wrote:

What about if you are using LDAP for iRed, does MySQL/MariaDB get installed for other things such as Roundcube?

Yes, it's required.

With OpenLDAP backend, OpenLDAP is used to store mail accounts, MySQL/MariaDB is used to store data for Roundcube, Cluebringer, iRedAdmin, etc.