Topic: Master Master Setup

Hello,

first of all I would like to introduce my self in the community

I am an IT Manager In a Financial Company.

Currently I have one node of iredmail and would like to setup a second one to work as master master .

the specific server is only responsible sending out emails to our clients on a daily base.

on my DNS records I have the following

domain.mx.    60    MX    Mail Server: mail.domain.mx. | Priority: 0   
12    domain.mx.    60    MX    Mail Server: mail.domain.mx. | Priority: 10

currently both MX records point to the same server and would like to setup another server that will be the second one with priority 10

I will then change the setting of the mx records to be like the following
domain.mx.    60    MX    Mail Server: mxnode1.domain.mx. | Priority: 0   
12    domain.mx.    60    MX    Mail Server: mxnode2.domain.mx. | Priority: 10

in order to achieve the above setup I need to setup a new instance of iredmail with exact same settings as mxnode1 but do I need to cluster it ?

also if you have anything else to suggest please feel free!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Master Master Setup

*) If the priorities are not the same, they're primary server and backup mx. Sender server will always connect to the server which has higher priority, and ignore others.

*) I'm not quite sure whether you need master-master setup, but it looks like you need a fail-over cluster, or a simple backup mx without cluster. smile

so a simple backup mx without cluster meaning same server as the primary only it will take over in case the primary is down right?

If you have 2 MX records with different priorities in DNS for the same mail domain, the one with higher priority is called primary server, the one which lower priority is called backup mx.

Sender server will connect to primary server first, if primary server is down, or smtp service is not respond, sender server will try to connect to backup mx instead. And a properly configured primary mx will queue all emails (sent to mail domains specified by config) it received, and check whether primary mx is online. If primary server is online, backup mx will deliver all received mails to primary server.

That's how backup mx works. Obviously, backup mx is not same as fail-over cluster.

Zhang,

thanks a lot for the reply
do you have a documentation for the "properly configured primary mx " that will queue all emails ?

for the fail-over node it means if the node is down everything will be delivered by slave and nothing will send to primary correct?

ckattimeris wrote:

do you have a documentation for the "properly configured primary mx " that will queue all emails ?

Search "Postfix backup mx" in Google will give you lots of documents. smile

ckattimeris wrote:

for the fail-over node it means if the node is down everything will be delivered by slave and nothing will send to primary correct?

If primary server (active node) is down, secondary node will be activated and act as the primary server. Short server/service down time,  your users may not even notice it.
I suggest you search in Google for more details about fail-over cluster.

Hello,

it's been a while since i replied to that post,

something else came and couldn't complete the backup server.

i will look into int and get back to you in case i need anything else!

thanks.