Topic: Thunderbird and Android mail clients fail error Unable to communicate

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
First of all, let me tell you how great of a product you have here. I have been tinkering with setting up a mail server for about two weeks now, and editing postfix and dovecot conf files is very tedious, and I never could get authentication to work correctly.  That is about the time I reimaged my hosted server and found your site.  What a painless install!  I have two issues, however.  First, Thunderbird mail client wont send mail through a secured port.  Any attempts to set port to 465 or 587 fails to communicate with server, and Android fails all the way around.  Vanilla install, open source edition.  I would love to pay for a pro version, but without these working, I can't justify this.  Any ideas?  Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section too btw.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Thunderbird and Android mail clients fail error Unable to communicate

olsonfamilyfl wrote:

First, Thunderbird mail client wont send mail through a secured port.  Any attempts to set port to 465 or 587 fails to communicate with server, and Android fails all the way around.

Could you please show us your Thunderbird and Android settings? You must use full email address as login name, and user 'LOGIN' as auth type, 'STARTTLS' for connection security (port 587).

You can also disable firewall temporarily for testing, because if you have many password failures in a short period, Fail2ban will invoke iptables to ban your IP address for 2 hours.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
olsonfamilyfl wrote:

First, Thunderbird mail client wont send mail through a secured port.  Any attempts to set port to 465 or 587 fails to communicate with server, and Android fails all the way around.

Could you please show us your Thunderbird and Android settings? You must use full email address as login name, and user 'LOGIN' as auth type, 'STARTTLS' for connection security (port 587).

You can also disable firewall temporarily for testing, because if you have many password failures in a short period, Fail2ban will invoke iptables to ban your IP address for 2 hours.

Thunderbird recieves mail just fine for the account.  I also chose not to install Fail2ban.  Iptables has all ports open, and the firewall on the server is fine as well.

Thunderbird settings:

Imap Mail server: 

server name: imap.olsonetworks.com
port 143
user name: chad@olsonetworks.com
connection security: STARTTLS
authentication method: normal password

SMTP Server:
server name: smtp.olsonetworks.com
port : 465
connection security: ssl/tls
authentication method: normal password
user name: chad@olsonetworks.com

used the same settings for android, incoming and outgoing fail.

Any related log in Postfix log file (/var/log/maillog) and Dovecot log file (/var/log/dovecot.log) on your server?