Topic: Looking at moving to iRedMail or iRedOS... have questions though.

Hello,

Currently we have a Fedora 11 server that does our mail. It uses Postfix, Dovecot, and procmail with Majordomo mail list manager. The mailboxes are still mbox format. We are currently using OpenLDAP combined with samba to do roaming profiles and domain logins on the same server. We are about to be deploying a new groupware solution, most likely SOGo, and we are looking at migrating our mail server also. What we need is the following:

Postfix
Dovecot
sieve
mailman
maildir format boxes

It appears as though iRedOS does all this. However, the main question I have is this: Can I use an existing LDAP server with iRedOS or does it have to use it's own? I don't want to go through the headache of having to reset 160+ users machines to point to a different LDAP server unless I just have to. Also, is there a way to migrate to iRedOS that is simple and I just plain missed it? I look forward to any and all assistance.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Looking at moving to iRedMail or iRedOS... have questions though.

Anyone?

kameleon wrote:

an I use an existing LDAP server

you can use existing ldap, but would lost many iredmail feature. because many feature would relate with iredmail schema.

the iredos is iredmail 0.5, suggest use iredmail 0.51.or you also can test iredmail 0.6 beta3

Thank you for the reply. So if I chose to use iRedOS I would need to keep it's LDAP and just convert mine over to it. That is not a huge deal, just kind of scary since I have alot of people that would scream if it didn't work right.

What would be the best way to slowly migrate users over to iRedOS (or iRedMail for that matter) while still keeping my current mail server intact?

Setup a backup server, migrate exist users to backup server, testing all features you need.
If migration goes smoothly, you can make it online to replace exist server.

So it won't be a gradual thing. More of a do it one weekend while no one is here and test thing. As for the LDAP, is it possible to move my existing LDAP to iRedMail install or will I need to manually re-add everyone? I ask because we do a nightly backup of the ldap and have the .ldif file. I guess I could compare the syntax and see what is different and go from there. I did get to looking into the LDAP stuff a hair and found where I would only really have to change one setting on the handful of servers we have for the samba stuff to work rather than change settings on all 160+ users pc's. So that is a plus.

I have setup iredmail on a centos 5.4 machine and have a few questions. I have tried to import the ldap accounts but it fails every time. When I do it from phpldapadmin it gives the error:

LDAP said: LDAP_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATION
Some constraint would be violated by performing the action. This can happen when you try to add a second value to a single-valued attribute, for example.

When I try to import an ldif from one exported from same machine it gives same error even though the account was deleted I am trying to import. The logs show nothing.

When I use ldapadd from the command line I get:

ldapadd: Constraint violation (19)
        additional info: contextcsn: no user modification allowed

I google for these errors only to find nothing useful. Is there a trick to getting the ldap migrated over? One post did say something about the ppolicy.schema for ldap but I don't see anywhere that it is added on iredmail.

Any pointers are very welcome. Once I complete this step, it is on to integrating samba.schema and migrating all of our users mail over to iredmail.

i got the same error here,im using the iredmail backup script.thanks

LDAP data is backed up via command 'slapcat', it will dump some internal LDAP attributes, it's not allowed to import these attributes via command 'ldapadd', so you must use command 'slap add' to import it.

That means you can't import it with phpLDAPadmin.