Topic: Sender address rejected issue

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04.4
====

So, I use this server to host e-mail for at least three different domains. We'll call one of them 'forumdomain.com'.

Now, I have an e-mail, say, logannc@forumdomain.com. As one might guess, I'm running a forum on the same domain. This forum is hosted elsewhere and runs phpBB. Now, I have it set so that the system e-mails should come from admin@forumdomain.com.

This is fine in every single case except for when I send a forum e-mail to myself at logannc@forumdomain.com. I have the spf records set to allow the source of the site e-mails so it works everywhere else.

When I try to send a forum e-mail to an e-mail on the same domain (using the mail function, I might add), I get the following error:

"""
<logannc@forumdomain.com>: host mx.forumdomain.com[IP ADDRESS] said: 553 5.7.1
<admin@forumdomain.com>: Sender address rejected: not logged in (in reply to RCPT TO command)
"""

This, of course, makes sense since my forum is not logged in! (since I can't seem to get phpBB to connect to it for SMTP!)

So,
1) Is there any way to allow my forum to send messages using one of my e-mail addresses?
or, not directly related,
2) Has anyone had luck with phpBB and iRedMail? (If you know how to get phpBB to connect to SMTP with iRedMail, that might just nip all of this at the root.)

Things I have seen so far:
1. Change my_networks... Not sure if this will work as I'm not sure I know which IPs my site might send mail from. This is most likely a solution, I just need to see if it's possible for me to get the right IPs. This would technically allow other websites hosted with my provider to send mail as me, though. hmm
2. Something about changing reject_sender_login_mismatch. I'm wary of this as this as the documentation I read was not clear as to how it would behave when changed.

Please let me know if you guys need any additional information!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Sender address rejected issue

logannc wrote:

This, of course, makes sense since my forum is not logged in! (since I can't seem to get phpBB to connect to it for SMTP!)

According to phpBB document, it supports smtp authentication. Search "smtp setting" in below page:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/documenta … eneral.php

Having smtp auth enabled is the best way to solve your issue.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
logannc wrote:

According to phpBB document, it supports smtp authentication. Search "smtp setting" in below page:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/documenta … eneral.php

Having smtp auth enabled is the best way to solve your issue.

I did, in fact, try this first. However, I can't seem to get phpBB to connect to my server. On my phone I'm using TLS on port 587 to connect, and I can't seem to get that to work for phpBB.

Does phpBB support SMTP over TLS (port 587)? If not, try port 25 instead.