Topic: Pre Install Setup

I have been looking to install iRedMail free version on Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS as a VM on esxi5.1.

All seems straight forward except for some confusion with regards to the hostname, FQDN and dns records. I have tried to get my head around the various guides but I really need a basic worked example so that I can follow what must be changed and where.

So for example, if I have a registered domain name of joe.net and the dns records for joe.net are set to send mail to mail.joe.net then what should I set the following to:

1. hostname of server
2. hosts file on server (eg. what should the 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 lines read like)
3. the virtual domain name requested by iRedMail during the install

cheers in advance

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Pre Install Setup

anders wrote:

So for example, if I have a registered domain name of joe.net and the dns records for joe.net are set to send mail to mail.joe.net then what should I set the following to:
1. hostname of server
2. hosts file on server (eg. what should the 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 lines read like)
3. the virtual domain name requested by iRedMail during the install

1. hostname can be mail.joe.net (or others, except 'joe.net' - the one you will use as mail domain name).
2. "127.0.0.1 mail.joe.net mail localhost localhost.localdomain"
3. joe.net