Topic: Package version

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6 NEWEST
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:  centos 6.5 64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

OK, Any idea when you are going to upgrade your packages?
iRedmail installed mysql.
I had to remove mysql 5.5 from IUS/Epel and iRed installed old depricated v 5.1
Most software now requires at least v 5.3 or greater
How do I upgrade your 5.1 to the proper 5.5 v

Thanks, Richard

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Package version

Ohh wow,

Most  of the packages iRed installed are old versions.
spamassassin v3.3.1    3 years old     current is v3.4
postfix   v 2.6.6           No longer supported as of 2/13  current is  v 2.11
mysql v 5.1                  depricated  need at least min of 5.3 or better yet 5.5 to support even 2 year old software
dovecot  v 2.1.17         v 2.2 has been out for over 6 months
phpmyadmin v 4.0.10   end of life support 7/14     need currrent  v 4.1.9
roundcube    latest version   -   YAHOOO !!!!

How do I upgrade most of these packages back to what I already had installed and configured?

OR when are you going to do a release that either has new packages or the ability to retain newer packages and just provide conf updates?

PLEASE - This hurt my server pretty badly and its going to take hours/hours to update and cleanup.

Richard

How do I upgrade or remove them and install the later versions?

This is not so secure

Please jhelp.

Richard

iRedMail simply uses binary packages provided by official CentOS yum repositories. If you really need the latest packages, maybe FreeBSD is a better choice for you.

coopwebhost wrote:

PLEASE - This hurt my server pretty badly and its going to take hours/hours to update and cleanup.

Why does it hurt you? I don't understand. What features do you need in the latest package releases?

coopwebhost wrote:

Hi,  Thanks for responding.

I need at least mysql 5.5
Is there a way to edit the install to retain the current version of mysql?
If not I can probably upgrade manually and all of the other packages I can upgrade manually.
Freebsd is cool but I am a centos/fedora person for the last 14+  years.

This was centos 6.5 base install with the only addition of installing mysql 5.5 from epel.
I uninstalled that before I did the iRedmail install.

iRed then installed mysql but it did not create any of the databases (roundcube, etc)

All of the installs are running fine It appears but iredadmin and roundcube wont work due to databases not created?

Not sure want to do. this will be a production server for my personal private web hosting clients.

The last install I did of iRed was back in 2009 and it worked like a charm and I was so impressed I thought I would give it another try to install to migrate from that server to this newer server.

I spent literally 2 weeks setting up this server for NSA security needs and then installed iRed.

Not sure what to do.

Its there a way to recreate the roundcube database and any other databases it was supposed to create?

Most I can debug and upgrade - not really an issue But I need at least the installation to work properly.

Should I contact my NOC so I can reinstall a base centos 6.5 again and install iRed?

I am willing to do that Easy.  I am also willing to purchase after this is done, the iRedAdmin system rather that using postfixadmin as your sytem is really good and solid when you get it working.

I just need a good reliable mail server system which I got from you 4 years ago. Such a champ.

Please help.

Richard

This is not so secure

Please jhelp.

Richard

coopwebhost wrote:
coopwebhost wrote:

OK,

I am going to do a new fresh install of centos 6.5
What do I not need to have installed.

It hard as you do not provide any package/install versions or what should not or should be installed even on a base install.
take a few minutes and define what you do in your install so we can understand and not waste hours trying to figure it out and fix.

I will try a new install of Iredmail and update as needed but I need minimum what I should install as a base install as their are many configurations.

Please help me help you. iRedMail worked perfectly 4 years ago. Now with all of the new OS's / packages it is getting difficult to install 3rd party systems without any real outline.

It would be nice if you could at least state for the installation - what a server needs in preparation and what you actually install / Versions.

OR is it all about your wanting me to pay you $39 USD to do it?
That is easy - I will pay you no questions asked $39 if you can fix what your package did.
Can you fix this for $39? - if so I will pay right now.

Another Point - Why do your shat users say only have 3 postings in the last 2 years?  I think you have a great concept here.
I really think you could go to the next level, but you need to make sure installs work, as it is very time consuming for a Admin to try by  - Does it Work? - Reinstall - Try again - reinstall Try again - to get a clue what you are installing and what the real requirements for an install are and what you are installing.

You also need to have a UNINSTALL. Its not fun having to reinstall OS from Scratch to start over after installing your package.
Why should we spend days setting up, securing, and then install your package to onjly find out if it does not work we have to start over again?  Not fair.

Richard

Hi,  Thanks for responding.

I need at least mysql 5.5 as that support the latest wordpress and many other database functions that were depricated as of 5.1

Is there a way to edit the install to retain the current version of mysql?
If not I can probably upgrade manually and all of the other packages I can upgrade manually.
Freebsd is cool but I am a centos/fedora person for the last 14+  years.

This was centos 6.5 base install with the only addition of installing mysql 5.5 from epel.
I uninstalled that before I did the iRedmail install.

iRed then installed mysql but it did not create any of the databases (roundcube, etc)

All of the installs are running fine It appears but iredadmin and roundcube wont work due to databases not created?

Not sure want to do. this will be a production server for my personal private web hosting clients.

The last install I did of iRed was back in 2009 and it worked like a charm and I was so impressed I thought I would give it another try to install to migrate from that server to this newer server.

I spent literally 2 weeks setting up this server for NSA security needs and then installed iRed.

Not sure what to do.

Its there a way to recreate the roundcube database and any other databases it was supposed to create?

Most I can debug and upgrade - not really an issue But I need at least the installation to work properly.

Should I contact my NOC so I can reinstall a base centos 6.5 again and install iRed?

I am willing to do that Easy.  I am also willing to purchase after this is done, the iRedAdmin system rather that using postfixadmin as your sytem is really good and solid when you get it working.

I just need a good reliable mail server system which I got from you 4 years ago. Such a champ.

Please help.

Richard

This is not so secure

Please jhelp.

Richard

Personally, i think the easiest/best way to achieve your goals is installing iRedMail first, then upgrade certain packages manually if you want. Upgrade them one by one, upgrade one and test all mail services before upgrading another one.

P.S. I understand you want MySQL-5.5, but just curious, why 5.5 is required? You didn't explain this. If it doesn't matter, why not simply use the one provided by RHEL/CentOS official yum repository?