Topic: LDAP Authentication

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello I am currently evaluating iRedMail as a replacement to our current directory/mail server and am having some difficulty authenticating users against the LDAP schema from iRedMail. I would like to be able to authenticate my VPN users against the directory but have had no luck. My vpn is currently configured on my firewall and when i set this up for extend authentication and test the ldap authentication it comes back saying that the server is unreachable. Also when i try to fetch the search base using LDAP Manager i get an error message stating "bind error please check the DNS name and network connection and try again." Any help on the issue would be great.  thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: LDAP Authentication

iRedMail doesn't open LDAP services in iptables firewall by default, so you have to open them first. if this is a testing server, the simplest solution is disabling iptables service:

# /etc/init.d/iptables stop

If you don't want to disable iptables, please check file /etc/default/iptables and uncomment below lines and restart iptables service:

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 389 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 636 -j ACCEPT

when trying to stop the iptables I receive the following

~# service iptables stop
[ ok ] Flushing firewall rules: iptables.
[ ok ] Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter.
[FAILding iptables modules failed!

Seems this script has minor issue to work with Debian/Ubuntu. But it should be just fine because iptables rules were flushed.

even after running that script i am still receiving the same errors from ldap manager and my firewall

*) Check whether you have any iptables rules running with command "iptables -L -n".
*) Check whether your OpenLDAP is listening on port 389 and accepts connection from external network. e.g.

# netstat -ntlp | grep 389
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:389             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3184/slapd

NOTE: If it's 0.0.0.0:389, it's fine. if it's '127.0.0.1:389', you have to update parameter 'SLAPD_SERVICES' in /etc/default/slapd:

SLAPD_SERVICES="ldap:/// ldapi:///"

Then use correct LDAP server address, port (389), bind dn and password in your ldap client.

Here are the results i am getting

netstat -ntlp | grep 389
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:389             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3034/slapd     
tcp6       0      0 :::389                  :::*                    LISTEN      3034/slapd     

the ip is set to zero but i am still getting "Bind Error Please check the DNS name and network connection and try again" from LDAP manager even when using the bind dn and password.

i am Still unable to reach the LDAP schema from LDAP manager or my firewall, any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you use the right bind dn and password? Which one did you use? Also, did you use IP address or hostname of ldap server for testing?

I used cn=Manager, dc=example, dc=com (replaced the dc with my domain name) and the password that was set during installation and receive a bind error. I also tried cn=vmailadmin and that returned the same result. I am currently using the IP address of the ldap server not the hostname.

*) Does firewall block port 389?
*) Do your bind dn and password work on localhost (the server runs OpenLDAP service)?

firewall does not block port 389. As far as i know yes the bind dn and password work on locale host, this is a new install and I have not added any users yet and the only on that slapcat shows is admin.

Bind dn/password is correct, LDAP service is listening on 0.0.0.0:389, firewall doesn't block port 389, everything seems just fine. No idea yet.

Did you try another LDAP client software?

I finally did a complete reinstall of debian and iRedMail and I am now able to query the ldap backend on the iredmail install. I do have another question reguarding the admin panel. I have noticed on your pro demo that it has the ability to add aliases I do not see that in the open source version. Is there away this can be done in the open source version or is it only an option in the pro admin panel?

jon.hoffart wrote:

I have noticed on your pro demo that it has the ability to add aliases I do not see that in the open source version. Is there away this can be done in the open source version or is it only an option in the pro admin panel?

You can add it manually with phpLDAPadmin or other LDAP client tools.
References:

- Add mailing list with phpLDAPadmin: http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … pLDAPadmin
- Add mail alias with phpLDAPadmin: http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … pLDAPadmin

One more question currently we host multiple domains. Meaning if mail is sent to person@domain1.com or person@domain2.com it all ends up in the same mailbox for that person. Now I understand that iredmail can host virtual domains but this delivers mail sent to person@domain1.com and person@domain2.com to two separate inboxes and this is not what i want i want messages sent to both addresses to end up in the same mailbox. Can I do this with iredmail?

Yes. Steps:

1. Add domain 'domain1.com'.
2. Add 'domain2.com' as an alias domain of 'domain1.com'. Then all emails sent to 'person@domain1.com' and 'person@domain2.com' will be delivered to the same mailbox (person@domain1.com).

With iRedAdmin-Pro, you can easily achieve this. Screenshot attached for your reference:

http://www.iredmail.org/images/iredadmin/domain_profile_alias.png

If I understand you right then that feature is only available with the pro edition and not the open source edition?

jon.hoffart wrote:

If I understand you right then that feature is only available with the pro edition and not the open source edition?

This feature is implemented in iRedMail part, iRedAdmin-Pro just helps you to manage it. You can add alias domain manually with phpLDAPadmin or other LDAP tools, but iRedAdmin-Pro is the easiest one.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
jon.hoffart wrote:

This feature is implemented in iRedMail part, iRedAdmin-Pro just helps you to manage it. You can add alias domain manually with phpLDAPadmin or other LDAP tools, but iRedAdmin-Pro is the easiest one.

Thanks for the clarification.