==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTF (32bit)
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
This seems to be a frequent question and I've read through a number of threads yet I cannot seem to pinpoint and resolve my problem.

I decided I wanted to learn about mail servers and wanted to create and host my own. To do this I created a new virtual instance of Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 32 bit on Amazon's EC2 network. From a fresh instance I installed iRedMail according to the Ubuntu instructions provided under the Documents section. Once that was done I used to the admin panel to create preferred username, and from that account have had success in sending mail. Everything works fine there.

I cannot however, receive mail. The first thing I did was check my MX record. The MX record appears properly set, and when I use the MX look up tool at mxtoolbox.com the record is returned pointing to the IP addess that the mail server is hosted on. Using the same website, I used their SMTP test.

Test    Result   
    SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch    Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner   
    SMTP Reverse Banner Check    OK - 111.222.333.444 resolves to mail.server.location (changed for privacy obviously!)
    SMTP TLS    OK - Supports TLS.   
    SMTP Connection Time    1.357 seconds - Good on Connection time   
    SMTP Open Relay    OK - Not an open relay.   
    SMTP Transaction Time    3.994 seconds - Good on Transaction Time

Everything seemed to come back ok. From the documentation I've read thus far I believe I'm done everything correctly, and am stumped to why I can''t receive mail although the domain does seem to be pointing it to the correct place. Any ideas? I've provided as much information as I can think of. If there is anything else please let me know and I'll provide it. Thanks in advance everyone

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Can Send But Cannot Receive Mail

Update: Solved!
So I've continued to research this and come across the following post:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic1258 … tside.html

I implemented the following changes suggested in the bottom few posts:

I changed two values in /etc/postfix/main.cf

1. smtp_reject_unlisted_sender = no

2. smtpd_recipient_restrictions =  permit_mynetworks,  permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination

After restarting the server I am now able to receive e-mail! Wahoo! After a few days of tinkering it's nice to see the tons of test e-mails trickle in. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had the time could they possible explain what I essentially did. At a basic level I understand I turned off restrictions on incoming mail senders. Does this open me to more spam possibilities or any other vulnerabilities? Is there another solution I might have missed?

At the very least I wanted to post that my issue is SOLVED and maybe it will help others with similar issues. As mentioned if anyone has the time to explain what I did and why it worked I'd appreciate it - I'll be looking into it anyways.

Cheers, and thanks to the developers for this really cool tool!

Re: Can Send But Cannot Receive Mail

WARNING: YOU DID IT COMPLETELY WRONG.

Your change to Postfix main.cf will make your server an open relay, try to verify it with mxtoolbox.com again please.
The problem is, you didn't find the root cause. If you send an email from Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo!, what does the returned email say? It usually provides some technical details about mail delivery failure. So, paste us this returned email so that we can help you troubleshoot and fix it.