Topic: some questions with starting from scratch a multi domain server

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: iRedMail-0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6
====

Hello, i am building a new redmail server from scratch. I have never used this app before so i am a newbie.
I have a couple of question I hope are simple that will allow me from making rookie mistakes.

This server will be the mail server for multiple domains or mine. My plan is to set it up using one of the less important domains and then added the mission critical domain over once i am comfortable with everything.

So in the docs http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_rhel.html , the very first thing in the preparations i have a question.
The first thing it tells me to do is :::
$ hostname -f
mx.example.com

So my question is which domain do i set here, and how does this effect the other domains.  Should i make this the critical domain? 

Thanks
Randy

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: some questions with starting from scratch a multi domain server

if you type in hostname what is the output?

Set your most critical if you want. As long as you have full control over your domains DNS you will be fine.

I have a server with multiple domains and only one of the domains is in the hostname. The other domains I just create the DNS records. Everything works well incluiding DKIM SPF etc.

Output of command "hostname -f" is server hostname, it must be a FQDN and it will be used in Postfix parameter "myhostname".
Server hostname can be any domain name you like, it's not directly relate to virtual mail domain names, but it cannot be the same as one of your virtual mail domain names.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Output of command "hostname -f" is server hostname, it must be a FQDN and it will be used in Postfix parameter "myhostname".
Server hostname can be any domain name you like, it's not directly relate to virtual mail domain names, but it cannot be the same as one of your virtual mail domain names.

Why not?

hferreira wrote:

Why not?

Let's use 'mail.example.com' as server hostname for example.

Since we have 'myhostname = mail.example.com' and '$myhostname' in Postfix parameter 'mydestination =', you can send email to system account, e.g. root@mail.example.com, but if you have 'mail.example.com' as virtual mail domain also, Postfix cannot understand 'root@mail.example.com' should be a system account or a virtual mail user, and it stops accepting emails sent to @mail.example.com. That's why server hostname cannot be the same as one of virtual mail domains in iRedMail.

Of course you can avoid this issue by using a different 'myhostname =', but how do you send email to system accounts? Many applications will generate notification emails to system accounts, for example, cron job, and it uses server hostname as domain part in email address ([SYSTEM_ACCOUNT_NAME]@[SERVER_HOSTNAME]). If you MTA cannot send mail to system accounts, you will miss some important notification emails.