Topic: Fresh install 0.8.5 mysql configuration failure

============ Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 6.4 X86_64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hello,

I have been attempting to do a fresh install of 0.8.5 on a fresh OS. However, there is a failure reported as follows:

--start--
* Start iRedMail Configurations
< INFO > Create self-signed SSL certification files.
< INFO > Create required system accounts: vmail, iredapd, iredadmin.
< INFO > Configure Apache web server and PHP.
< INFO > Configure MySQL database server.
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

< INFO > Configure Postfix (Message Transfer Agent).
< INFO > Configure Policyd (postfix policy server, version 1.8).
< INFO > Configure Dovecot (pop3/imap/managesieve server, version 2).
< INFO > Configure ClamAV (anti-virus toolkit).
< INFO > Configure Amavisd-new (interface between MTA and content checkers).
< INFO > Configure SpamAssassin (content-based spam filter).
< INFO > Configure iRedAPD (postfix policy daemon).
< INFO > Configure iRedAdmin (official web-based admin panel).
< INFO > Configure Fail2ban (authentication failure monitor).
< INFO > Configure Awstats (logfile analyzer for mail and web server).
< INFO > Configure Roundcube webmail.
< INFO > Configure phpMyAdmin (web-based MySQL management tool).
--end--

Now whilst the "Configure MySQL database server" part of the installation is being executed the error message doesnt appear instantly. So it does look like it is processing the MySQL configuration for a few moments up until the error is displayed.

I can confirm that the installation is creating MySQL database schemas (eg: amavisd, iredadmin, policyd, roundcubemail and vmail) . And also corresponding mysql users for those schemas (@ localhost) are also created (with privileges), so that proves that the credentials provided for the MySQL root@localhost user is correct.

Is there any debug installation mode, so it can be determined as to what part of the MySQL configuration is failing?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Fresh install 0.8.5 mysql configuration failure

Hi all,
I am having exactly the same issue.
My config is a HP Proliant server running Ubuntu 12.04.2 with all current updates
I used iRedMail-0.8.5 as the initial install
I experienced the same errors during install.
Now, when I go to the https://mydomainsip:xxxx/mail  I get  a Roundcube page served but with the error:

DATABASE ERROR: CONNECTION FAILED!

Unable to connect to the database!
Please contact your server-administrator.

Interestingly, I already had to comment out lines 46-64 in /etc/apache2/conf.d/SOGo.conf as apache2 refused to restart until I did so.  Once I had corrected this I am left with the above error which sounds similar if not identical to the OP

Thanks for all your help
Looking forward to migrating to iRedMail and SOGo for my 9 person office

Bob

Dusso wrote:

iRedMail will try to connect to MySQL server as root user without password to set initial password. So, does your MySQL server has a root password BEFORE installing iRedMail?

If the MySQL root password you input during iRedMail configuration wizard is same as the actual password, your iRedMail setup should be just fine.

Hi kodb2105,

As mentioned in iRedMail installation guide:

WARNING: iRedMail is designed to be deployed on a FRESH server system, which means your server does NOT have mail related components installed, e.g. MySQL, OpenLDAP, Postfix, Dovecot, Amavisd, etc. Otherwise it may override your existing files/configurations althought it will backup files before modifing, and it may be not working as expected.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
Dusso wrote:

iRedMail will try to connect to MySQL server as root user without password to set initial password. So, does your MySQL server has a root password BEFORE installing iRedMail?

Okay, i had done the initial Mysql setup myself and had set the password, prior to installing iRedMail.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

If the MySQL root password you input during iRedMail configuration wizard is same as the actual password, your iRedMail setup should be just fine.

Now this is the main issue i faced. I think there is a bug with that. As i had said, it did actually utilize the password i provided for part of that mysql configuration. But there gets to a certain point during the configuration, where i believe that it then fails to use the password provided, hence the alert.

As you mentioned in first post:

Dusso wrote:

I can confirm that the installation is creating MySQL database schemas (eg: amavisd, iredadmin, policyd, roundcubemail and vmail) . And also corresponding mysql users for those schemas (@ localhost) are also created (with privileges), so that proves that the credentials provided for the MySQL root@localhost user is correct.

Your iRedMail installation should be just fine. If you're not sure or not satisfied, try again with a FRESH server.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

As you mentioned in first post:

Dusso wrote:

Your iRedMail installation should be just fine. If you're not sure or not satisfied, try again with a FRESH server.

I did exactly that and it installed like a dream.  Thanks Zhang!
Bob