Topic: Transferring from cpanel server

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.4
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
HI

I have read the page on importing from other mail servers and pretty much follow. I currently have a cpanel server doing the email and it stores it in Maildir format, all good so far.

I found the emails to transfer but before I do I need to ask, does it matter that the server name in the email filename is different from my new mail server? Will the servers in iRedmail reject the mails with them not being originally from the new server?

Cheers

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by maxie_ro 2013-06-07 21:42:31)

Re: Transferring from cpanel server

If you're asking if dovecot won't like the transferred message to your new iRedMail server because they are not in the usual format (for example "1370595007.M185386P29045.mx3.my-domain.com,S=1946,W=1989:2,S"), then no, I don't think this will be a problem.

Reference:
1. I transferred by HDD around 140 GB of mails from one server to another. They simply got partially renamed automagically by Dovecot, and accepted them.
2. I saved around 5000 messages in *.eml format from a broken HDD to the same server as above (yes, named like "subject.eml", it was a desktop PC) and Dovecot accepted them and automagically partially renamed them according to its standards.

Probably it will work for you too, just make an inital test with, I dunno, like 100 messages?

Thanks maxie

the mail is in the correct format as in your example ((for example "1370595007.M185386P29045.mx3.my-domain.com,S=1946,W=1989:2,S"), only the my-domain.com bit is different. My current mails have server1.domain.com in them and I am moving them to my mx.domain.com server.

Will do a test transfer like you recommend and see what happens smile

Cheers

Thanks maxie_ro, you're damn right, mail message file name doesn't matter at all. smile