Topic: domain/mail in external ISP and various Iredmail servers for mailboxes

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.3
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 6.0.7 - 2.6.32-5-amd64
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
====

Hello:
I'm trying to implement the following architecture:

Our domain/mailserver is hosted in the ISP. Managed by them. It has 200 mailboxes.
We're downlading the mails in POP3. So, each user downloads its own mails.
We've different locations around the world.
My idea is to have an iredmail server in each site to have a better administration, back-up, user experience/usage, etc.

I've already installed 1 iredmail server with some tests accounts.
I've also enabled fetchmail for those users to get their mails from the ISP and storage in their mailboxes.
They can send mails each other and outside our domain. Example, user1@example.com can send/receive e-mails to/from user2@example.com (of course, user1 and user2 are created in the iredmail server and also in the ISP)

The problem is when they try to send an e-mail to another user whithin our domain. Example user1@example.com sends an e-mail to leo@example.com. user1 receives the error message "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table". of course, because leo@example.com does not exists in the iredmail server but it exists in the ISP.

How this could be configured to work (of course if it's possible) ?

Thanks a lot,

Leo.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: domain/mail in external ISP and various Iredmail servers for mailboxes

Postfix will check whether recipient domain is hosted locally, if yes, mails sent to non-existing users will not be delivered (user unknown).

If you can sync mail accounts from ISP to your iRedMail server, you can set per-user transport for each user, then emails will go to another mail server for that office.

Re: domain/mail in external ISP and various Iredmail servers for mailboxes

thanks Zhang but i didn't get the point in your answer "If you can sync mail accounts from ISP to your iRedMail server, you can set per-user transport for each user, then emails will go to another mail server for that office"
The domain mails are in the ISP and i would like to have one iredmail server per office with the user's mailboxes that belongs to that office/server. Allow me to explain it different:

Domain mail is example.com that is hosted in the ISP servers.
Office 1 has user1@example.com and user2@example.com
Office 2 has user11@example.com and user12@example.com

I would like to have one iredmail server on each office. The problem i'm having is when user1@example.com tries to send an email to user11@example.com of course postfix block it. My question is: Is there any way to configure postfix or iredmail to support my deployment?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Postfix will check whether recipient domain is hosted locally, if yes, mails sent to non-existing users will not be delivered (user unknown).

If you can sync mail accounts from ISP to your iRedMail server, you can set per-user transport for each user, then emails will go to another mail server for that office.