Topic: Advise on VPS host for iRedMail

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,

I am looking at setting up iRedMail (and the pro admin panel if all goes well) on a VPS, hosting around 50 mailboxes, and sending up to roughly 50,000 emails every 2 weeks on a mailing list (opt in/out obviously for legitimate business use to paying members).

Does anyone have any experience and advise on who might be a good (preferably uk based) hosting company for this, what spec you think the minimum requirements should roughly aim to be? I know that some hosts have problems with their ip address range etc, so wanted to see who is currently having a good experience so I can get off to a good start!!

Thanks for your input and help!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Advise on VPS host for iRedMail

Just to update, I was thinking that a Linode 512 or 1GB may be ok for this?

Should be fine.
But you need to tune Amavisd to bypass spam/virus scanning to speed up sending emails.

4 (edited by randoof 2013-01-28 04:03:32)

jonnyholt wrote:

Just to update, I was thinking that a Linode 512 or 1GB may be ok for this?

Just thought you might be interested, I am using a UK VPS host, and I have tested:

bhost.net - Gold £8 + vat /month
minivps.co.uk - Premium VPS 4 £10 + vat /month
ugvps.com (UK datacentre) - VPS - LEB/LET 2048 $6.99

I am leaving bhost as they don't offer the best customer support with questions.   
I *highly* recommend minivps for their customer service and ugvps for the system and price - 2mb ram and 4 cores.
iRedMail runs brilliantly on all three, but minivps.co.uk and ugvps.co.uk both offer Ubuntu 12.04.

I love iRedMail and with ugvps.co.uk I am so happy with set up now. I use ugvps as my main ive server and minivps backs everything up.

I have been using rootbsd.net They offer 512MB/20GB for $19.97 a month, this includes 20 GB backup space and 250 GB transfer. They are well known as a BSD VPS provider but they also support CentOS and Debian 6, they will prob also spin up a vm with your choice of OS. Anyway I've been a very pleased customer and just figured I'd give them a mention.

-tim

Both Linode and DigitalOcean are fine. I didn't test others.

iRedMail doesn't care about the server running on physical hardware or virtual machine, if you can have the iRedMail supported Linux/BSD distribution, then iRedMail should work fine.