Topic: Relationship between iRedMail/iRedAdminPro and underlying software
==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.2 / AdminPro 1.5.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
I have just bought a licence for iRedAdminPro - it is a really excellent, well thought out tool so thank you!
One query I have is the extent to which I can safely upgrade underlying packages (e.g. dovecot), tweak the databases or change package configuration without breaking iRedAdmin. I set out my understanding of the position below and would be very grateful if you could confirm whether it's correct:
1. The role of iRedMail is to install and configure the underlying packages (Dovecot, Postfix, Apache, etc). Once the iRedMail script has run and everything is working, iRedMail itself no longer "exists" as such - what I am left with is a pre-configured and integrated set of software that runs a very slick mail system.
2. Therefore, I can freely upgrade or tweak the configuration of any package I like. However, if I am not careful, I will break the functionality that iRedAdminPro provides - because the underlying packages will not longer be configured in a way that iRedAdminPro anticipates. In practical terms, this means that there is no problem at all making changes to, say, Apache configuration to (for example) move the virtual host on which iRedAdminPro and Roundcube present themselves, but (again for example) changing the way in which Postfix handles aliases may well break something.
3. All activity carried out through iRedAdminPro is expressed by way of database changes (except user creation, which also involves creating a maildir), and NOT by changing configuration files. Therefore the only critical data for disaster recovery purposes are the databases and the maildirs. If I rebuild a fresh iRedMail/iRedAdminPro installation (using the same software versions) and then restore my databases and maildirs, I will have a fully recovered system.
Many apologies if these points are obvious. But they are important ones to understand!
Get fast and professional support from iRedMail developers: