1 (edited by kislik 2012-09-22 18:48:56)

Topic: Fit on campus email system

Hi,

we would like to fit iRedMail/PostgreSQL on our campus email system (cca 9000 users). Before we spend time with iRedMail, we need to know how to solve some special operations:

- automatically user synchronization with cental DB (CDB) - My idea is build on perl script in cron, that fill tables in PostgreSQL iRedMail database. Is it possible? Whitch tables I should fill?

- automatically user password synchronization with CDB - Whitch formats of password are supported?

- automatically blocking old users (users that dissappeared from CDB cause end of study, ...). After defined time (one year) I could remove user account with all emails and settings. Where can I store the date of start of blocking? Can I store it in DB column or extra table?

- each user has an university ID number called VUTID and university name called VUTNAME. Both of them is used for email addressing (some special persons have another roles that is linked with another email address too). For example: My VUTID is 49756, VUTLOGIN is xkisli01 and I need an extra email alias for our bussiness partners in form <name><dot><surname>@<domain>.
49756@example.com
xkisli01@example.com
admin@example.com
pavel.kisli@example.com

My idea is build on mailbox name in form <VUTID>@<domain>. Other emails as aliases. Is it possible to make one or two aliases for each user (theoretically 20000 - 30000 aliases in system)?

- prelast question is about mailing-lists. We need to manage some mailing-lists automatically. A good example of this problem is a student class. I need a mailing-list for students of one grade. At the end of the grade the list will be emptied and filled with new students at the begging of new grade.
Is it possible to manage it from perl script with access to iRedMail/PostgreSQL DB? Whitch tables I should fill?

- last question is about user mail forwarding. We need to add a way to users to manage mail forwarding independently. The best way could be a plugin in roundcube. I was looking for the plugin, but I could not find it.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.2
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): PGSQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Scientific Linux 6.3
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Fit on campus email system

kislik wrote:

- automatically user synchronization with cental DB (CDB) - My idea is build on perl script in cron, that fill tables in PostgreSQL iRedMail database. Is it possible? Whitch tables I should fill?
- automatically user password synchronization with CDB - Whitch formats of password are supported?

Why not use PostgreSQL replication?

kislik wrote:

- automatically blocking old users (users that dissappeared from CDB cause end of study, ...). After defined time (one year) I could remove user account with all emails and settings. Where can I store the date of start of blocking? Can I store it in DB column or extra table?

- Users that disappeared from database will be invalid automatically (no sql record, no mail user).
- You can define timestamp in SQL column "expired", many tables have this column. e.g. mailbox.expired, domain.expired. But you have to write script to process them (e.g. delete expired domain/account, mark them as disabled, etc) in crontab.

kislik wrote:

- each user has an university ID number called VUTID and university name called VUTNAME. Both of them is used for email addressing (some special persons have another roles that is linked with another email address too). For example: My VUTID is 49756, VUTLOGIN is xkisli01 and I need an extra email alias for our bussiness partners in form <name><dot><surname>@<domain>.
49756@example.com
xkisli01@example.com
admin@example.com
pavel.kisli@example.com

My idea is build on mailbox name in form <VUTID>@<domain>. Other emails as aliases. Is it possible to make one or two aliases for each user (theoretically 20000 - 30000 aliases in system)?

iRedMail uses one unique email address by default. e.g. xkisli01@example.com. You have to add alias addresses for your user in table "vmail.alias". for example:

- Create alias 49756@example.com, forward it to xkisli01@.
- Create alias admin@example.com, forward it to xkisli01@.
- Create alias pavel.kisli@example.com, forward it to xkisli01@.

kislik wrote:

- prelast question is about mailing-lists. We need to manage some mailing-lists automatically. A good example of this problem is a student class. I need a mailing-list for students of one grade. At the end of the grade the list will be emptied and filled with new students at the begging of new grade.
Is it possible to manage it from perl script with access to iRedMail/PostgreSQL DB? Whitch tables I should fill?

Of course you can manage all mail accounts through command line. e.g. SQL/PGSQL client tool.
For SQL backends (MySQL, PostgreSQL), you need table "vmail.alias". For example: create alias "grade01@example.com", forward it to "user1@example.com,user2@example.com,user3@example.com,...". Multiple members must be separated by comma, stored in column "alias.goto".

- last question is about user mail forwarding. We need to add a way to users to manage mail forwarding independently. The best way could be a plugin in roundcube. I was looking for the plugin, but I could not find it.

It's enabled by default: Roundcube webmail -> Settings -> Filters. Create a new filter, choose action "forward/redirect".

Hope it helps.

3 (edited by kislik 2012-10-09 02:48:29)

Thank you for your answers.

Now I am syncing mailboxes and aliases automatically. After them I have found some problems/feature requests with iRedAdmin interface.

- In my system with 17000 users is my domain, under 'Domain and Accounts' tab, divided into 355 pages. I need a quick filter users in domain, because I don't know how can I find an user named for example: Novak. It is on page 100, 101 or 200? It is impossible to move directly to page number 200.

In current state I need to press mouse button 200 times :-) or directly rewrite URL.
https://hostname/iredadmin/users/domain/page/200

Editing user profile directly under URL:
https://hostname/iredadmin/profile/user/general/novak@domain

- In 'Domain Admins' tab is unable to list pages, I see all users in system divided into pages and only page number one (first 50 users) without navigation arrows left, right, ...

Kislik

kislik wrote:

- In my system with 17000 users is my domain, under 'Domain and Accounts' tab, divided into 355 pages. I need a quick filter users in domain, because I don't know how can I find an user named for example: Novak. It is on page 100, 101 or 200? It is impossible to move directly to page number 200.

Sorry about this trouble.

Why not searching "Novak" directly?
Will consider showing an input filed to let you type page number directly in next release. Or how about show A-Z on the top of account list page, so that you can view all users whose email/name start with character A-Z?

kislik wrote:

In current state I need to press mouse button 200 times :-) or directly rewrite URL.
https://hostname/iredadmin/users/domain/page/200
Editing user profile directly under URL:
https://hostname/iredadmin/profile/user/general/novak@domain

Rewritting URL will be better.

kislik wrote:

- In 'Domain Admins' tab is unable to list pages, I see all users in system divided into pages and only page number one (first 50 users) without navigation arrows left, right, ...

Looks like a bug.
May i know which page the "Domain Admins" tab appears in? I will try reproducing it and fix it in next release.

Thanks very much for your feedback. smile