Topic: Which OS is the best for iRedmail

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: the newest
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: That's the point of this post
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: Not yet
====

Hello,
I am about migrate quite busy server with 6000+ accounts and 1,5TB of mails to iRedMail + iRedAdmin-Pro.
I have been trying to install whole system onto the FreeBSD server for the last three days but I am sort of unhappy how does this work. There are a lot of problems and I'm little bit scared. I tried couple of weeks ago make a test installation on a Debian VPS and it was done without any problem in a few minutes.
Our company use FreeBSD servers so if a make decision to install iRed* SW on a linux server I need good reason for it.
Could I, dear forum users and maybe especially the creator of this beautiful software, ask you what is the best OS for running iRedMail?
Thanks a lot in advance for advices.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Which OS is the best for iRedmail

javon wrote:

I have been trying to install whole system onto the FreeBSD server for the last three days but I am sort of unhappy how does this work. There are a lot of problems and I'm little bit scared. I tried couple of weeks ago make a test installation on a Debian VPS and it was done without any problem in a few minutes.

FreeBSD ports tree is updated everyday, we didn't (and cannot) test iRedMail in time. Sometimes ports tree breaks (interrupts) iRedMail installation. For example, incorrect Makefile options, improper dependences, and changed port config options (make config). That's why it happened.

Compare with OpenBSD (correct me if i was wrong):

- FreeBSD encourages sysadmin to build packages with ports tree, so there's no official ready-to-install binary packages. The official binary packages are useless because they are not built with proper port config options. You live with "make" everyday, "make install clean", "make buildwork", etc. The same to Gentoo Linux with its portage.

- Unlike FreeBSD ports tree, the end result of the OpenBSD porting effort are ready-to-install binary packages (reference). Most of time, we don't need ports tree at all on OpenBSD. We live with pkg_add/delete.

So, PERSONALLY, i suggest deploying iRedMail on the Linux/BSD distributions which provides ready-to-install binary packages. e.g. RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenBSD.

javon wrote:

Our company use FreeBSD servers so if a make decision to install iRed* SW on a linux server I need good reason for it.
Could I, dear forum users and maybe especially the creator of this beautiful software, ask you what is the best OS for running iRedMail?

Suggestions:

- If OpenBSD is acceptable in your company, you can try OpenBSD. I guess some evaluation is required to use another BSD distro.
- If you want to stick on FreeBSD, here comes another solution: test it and report all issues you got on FreeBSD in this forum, i will fix it ASAP. Just a reminder: 1) ports tree changes everyday. 2) It takes me about 3-4 hours to deploy FreeBSD on my laptop (VMware Fusion), and i cannot find a faster machine, so it won't be fixed so "soon". sad