1 (edited by steveriley 2012-06-16 14:48:47)

Topic: Is an FQDN really required?

I'm intrigued by iRedMail because it seems like just what I need to run alongside my OwnCloud server: a relatively self-maintaining email server.

One bit that I'm curious about is the recommendation for an FQDN on the server. Currently, I'm running Citadel on the box (Ubuntu Server 12.04), and its SMTP server seems quite happy with an unqualified host name, configured via /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. I'd like to replace Citadel with iRedMail and also keep using an unqualified host name, as I've already got Apache happy that way.

What kind of difficulties might I encounter if I install iRedMail and indicate only the host name during installation?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Is an FQDN really required?

Dear steveriley,

- A FQDN system hostname is not required, but strongly recommended. We need a FQDN hostname in Postfix, so iRedMail requires it too.

- The system hostname is not required to be resolved by DNS, but, again, it's strongly recommended.
- A normal FQDN system hostname is 'localhost.localdomain'. smile