Topic: Sender address rejected

A test mail to a domain on iRedMail, was bounced saying
---
Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
-----

If the domain is added through iRedAdmin panel, why do we have to modify virtual table and why would it bounce and that too on verifying sender??!!!

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version:0.7.4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.4 TLS
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Sender address rejected

If you don't verify sender, your mail server will become open relay. So please add this user before using this account.

Hi Zhang,
The address it is rejecting is the source address from an external domain. i.e, I was testing an email from my address to an address in the iRedmail domain user.
----
<test@surakkudi.com>:
202.xx.xx.xxx does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.1.0 <vasanth@svktech.com>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
Giving up on 202.xx.xx.xxx
-----

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

If you don't verify sender, your mail server will become open relay. So please add this user before using this account.

vasanth wrote:

Hi Zhang,
The address it is rejecting is the source address from an external domain. i.e, I was testing an email from my address to an address in the iRedmail domain user.
----
<test@surakkudi.com>:
202.xx.xx.xxx does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.1.0 <vasanth _at_ svktech.com>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
Giving up on 202.xx.xx.xxx

I don't quite understand what this testing is used for. sad

According to the error message, you should make sure user vasanth _at_ svktech.com exists on your mail server. Otherwise your smtp authentication won't success.

Also realized that, I also can't send out mails to external domains..

Please paste related error log to help troubleshoot.

lost the access to the server due some wrong ssh port update. Will fix and get back to you with the log.

From the log:
May  5 19:34:04 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17172]: connect from dns2.svktech.com[202.73.54.30]
May  5 19:34:04 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17172]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from dns2.svktech.com[202.73.54.30]: 550 5.1.0 <vasanth@svktech.com>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<vasanth@svktech.com> to=<test@surakkudi.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<sun.svktech.com>
May  5 19:34:04 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17172]: disconnect from dns2.svktech.com[202.73.54.30]

The above is mail generated from outside and sending to one of the domains in iRedMail

This is for mail originating from a domain in iRedMail to outside

--
May  5 19:44:14 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17299]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
May  5 19:44:14 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17299]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.1 <vasanth@svktech.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<test@surakkudi.com> to=<vasanth@svktech.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<artic.svktech.com>
May  5 19:44:14 galaxy roundcube: Invalid response code received from server (550):
May  5 19:44:14 galaxy roundcube: SMTP Error: SMTP error: Failed to add recipient 'vasanth@svktech.com' in /usr/share/apache2/roundcubemail-0.7/program/include/main.inc on line 1745 (POST /mail/?_unlock=loading1336218260848&_lang=undefined?_task=mail&_action=send)
May  5 19:44:14 galaxy postfix/smtpd[17299]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
---

New status in the log for mail fr External to iRedmail domain user
--
May  5 19:57:07 galaxy postfix/smtpd[2743]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from dns2.svktech.com[202.73.54.30]: 451 4.7.1 <test@surakkudi.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisting in effect, please come back later; from=<vasanth@svktech.com> to=<test@surakkudi.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<sun.svktech.com>
May  5 19:57:07 galaxy postfix/smtpd[2743]: disconnect from dns2.svktech.com[202.73.54.30]
---

Do you have user 'vasanth@svktech.com' in your mail server?

Of course yes Zhang, That is my official ID.

After changing couple of entries in the main.cf, things are okay now.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Do you have user 'vasanth@svktech.com' in your mail server?

vasanth wrote:

After changing couple of entries in the main.cf, things are okay now.

What did you change?