1 (edited by ssbob 2012-04-28 09:40:15)

Topic: MAil server is not trusted by many domains

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version: beta4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: ubuntu 12:04 lts
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====
these types of things are all through my mail log

my ip  "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is a suspected spam relay by way of a very low SenderBase Reputation Score
554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation
host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.90.66] refused to talk to me: 421 4.7.1
im loosing a heap of mail .........

update #1  Ive been talking to my isp , and it seems they havnt done the ptr record properly and reverse lookup points back to them rather than my server, I guess Ill See shortly.

update #2 when running tests from smtp test sites it says greylisting in effect cannot deliver mail
Ive looked for the "Change in /etc/policyd.conf" file as mentioned in another post but I dont even have that file  ?
any ideas ?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: MAil server is not trusted by many domains

ssbob wrote:

update #2 when running tests from smtp test sites it says greylisting in effect cannot deliver mail
Ive looked for the "Change in /etc/policyd.conf" file as mentioned in another post but I dont even have that file  ?
any ideas ?

On Ubuntu 12.04, it's cluebringer (A.K.A. Policyd v2), not policyd anymore.
You can disable greylisting in /etc/cluebringer/cluebringer.conf.

Thanks Zhang
I read up on how the greylisting works
so when I sent the message again it got through
I guess the thing is will most servers try to send again or will this cause problems
I see in another post you recommend leaving this on ?
I still think My biggist problem is somehow my server has a bad rateing with spam sites
even tho nothing bad has gone out
My PTR record still points back to my ISP rather than (mycompany.co.nz)
will this cause me problems ?
heres a MXtoolbox test result you will see it resolves to .adslxtra.co.nz instead of mycompany.co.nz
or is this fine ?
-------------------------------------------------------------
220 mycompany.co.nz ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
Status Result
OK - xxx.xx.xx.xxx resolves to xxx-xx-xx-xxx.adsl.xtra.co.nz

Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner
OK - Supports TLS.
0 seconds - Good on Connection time
OK - Not an open relay.
2.465 seconds - Good on Transaction Time
--------------------------------------------------------------

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
ssbob wrote:

any ideas ?

On Ubuntu 12.04, it's cluebringer (A.K.A. Policyd v2), not policyd anymore.
You can disable greylisting in /etc/cluebringer/cluebringer.conf.

ssbob wrote:

Status Result

Does your mail server use ADSL? I'm afraid that it will be rejected by most ISPs. because dynamic IP addresses are always used by spammers.

Our network is connected to the internet with a adsl modem router (yes) but we dont get dynamically assigned we have a static IP
Most companies in our city are connected in this way

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
ssbob wrote:

Status Result

Does your mail server use ADSL? I'm afraid that it will be rejected by most ISPs. because dynamic IP addresses are always used by spammers.

6 (edited by purpletoad 2012-05-08 19:15:43)

Hi Zhang

Our Servers got the same problem this week, three of our server running iredmail been listed as "poor" in senderbase.org and a lot of our emails been rejected. the error message is exactly the same as ssbob's post.

our server also user static ip address from ISP they all running good until Sunday this week and all of them listed in senderbase.

two server using 0.7.4 stable on ubuntu 11.10 and one with graylist disabled, one using 0.7.4 rc3 on ubuntu 11.10

there is nothing to do with reverse DNS as one of our customer do have reverse DNS setup and none of them been listed in any DNSBL

what it could be?

purpletoad wrote:

Hi Zhang

Our Servers got the same problem this week, three of our server running iredmail been listed as "poor" in senderbase.org and a lot of our emails been rejected. the error message is exactly the same as ssbob's post.

our server also user static ip address from ISP they all running good until Sunday this week and all of them listed in senderbase.

two server using 0.7.4 stable on ubuntu 11.10 and one with graylist disabled, one using 0.7.4 rc3 on ubuntu 11.10

there is nothing to do with reverse DNS as one of our customer do have reverse DNS setup and none of them been listed in any DNSBL

what it could be?

Our problem came right after making sure PTR , SPF & Reverse dnsentrys matched
1.send a blank email to this email address         "mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com"
it will send you back a report on the state of your server
2.Perhaps one of your servers are sending out spam ?
after I fixed a few issues our reputation with senderbase came right within a couple of days
I still get mail that doesnt arrive but im slowly sorting it all

Our problem came right after making sure PTR , SPF & Reverse dnsentrys matched
1.send a blank email to this email address         "mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com"
it will send you back a report on the state of your server
2.Perhaps one of your servers are sending out spam ?
after I fixed a few issues our reputation with senderbase came right within a couple of days
I still get mail that doesnt arrive but im slowly sorting it all

Thanks ssbob, I'll send a test email to try today. I've went through all these servers, none of them sending spam. the only chance could be some misconfig of the server itself. but it's still very strange as all those servers were working good for quite a while.