Topic: MX RECORDS

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version:   0.8.0-beta4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04 lts
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.====

Hi Guys im a bit new to this so bare with me here
Im trying to setup MX record with my isp
ive got a router with a static ip from isp EG: 123.123.123.123
Ive got a ipcop firewall with 192.168.1.150
ive got iredmail on a machine in a dmz 192.168.11.101
the iredmail machine has a hostname of "demo.mycompany.co.nz"
i have a domain registered with my isp "mycompany.co.nz"
iredmail postfix setting (I guess) was set to mycompany.co.nz when I set it up
so when I go into iredmail_admin I can setup users EG  me@mycompany.co.nz
so all good , however do I simply tell my isp to make the mx record  demo.mycompany.co.nz   123.123.123.123
it says the machine name for the iredmail box has to have a FQDN does this mean I should have really named my box mycompany.co.nz rather than having demo.mycompany.co.nz, as this setup doesnt seem to be working IE I cant recieve any email I can only send , externally that is , local sends and recieves works fine

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: MX RECORDS

ssbob wrote:

however do I simply tell my isp to make the mx record  demo.mycompany.co.nz   123.123.123.123

Yes.

ssbob wrote:

it says the machine name for the iredmail box has to have a FQDN does this mean I should have really named my box mycompany.co.nz rather than having demo.mycompany.co.nz

Machine name cannot be the same as your email domain name, so 'demo.mycompany.co.nz' as machine name is ok, and it can **NOT** be 'mycompany.co.nz'.

Thanks very much
yes after a battle with my isp I managed to convince them that they had the mx record pointed at the wrong IP Address
all fixed now  (So I did have everything setup right )
on another note
Im using authentication for incoming & outgoing
however my outlooks are all complaining about the certificate and the button to view certificate is greyed out which means I cant install it ?
I can continue and everything works fine however when the close and reopen it asks about the certificate again ?
any thoughts
Thank you
Glen

Dear Glen,

iRedMail generates a self-certified SSL certification during installation, it's "INVALID". To avoid the issue with Outlook, you should consider purchasing a SSL certificate.

If you don't have a "MX" Record it will default and use your "A" record, but it's good practice to use MX records. Most people will name their mail servers something like "mail.mycompany.com" and run it off a different IP. 

If you want to check and make sure you have everything configured correctly, I would suggest sending an email to "mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com". It will auto-respond with a complete diagnosis on your domain..

You can read more about it here: Email Authentication