Topic: Merging vmail directories

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version:
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
==== Hello to all,

I have iRedMail version 0.7.3 on a ubuntu server 11.04 32 bit virtual machine (VirtualBox) installed with mysql. Everything working fine until the virtual machine crashed, corrupting the virtual disk.

The server was restored and restarted using a backup from the day before, so some messages are missing in /var/vmail, but no new users were added during the period since the backup was taken. However, later I managed to recover the vmail directory and mysql data from the corrupted virtual disk. Is there a way to "merge" the /var/vmail directories (and possibly mysql) so that the missing messages can be re-inserted in the mail server ?

I searched several forums including this one and did not find a clear answer. I know I cannot just copy the files from one directory to another since the index files will be messed up.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

==== Provide required information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version:
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Merging vmail directories

You can simply copy restored /var/vmail to the running server, and set correct file owner (vmail:vmail) and permission (0700).

Personally, i suggest you try to restore missed emails for ONE mailbox first, so that you won't mess up the new server.

I' m sorry to report that copying the files over did not work. I tried for only one mailbox, after copying the files over and settings perms & owner, Thunderbird & RoundCube both report "Internal server errors". Tried a reboot of the server just in case, but no go.Had to delete the account & re-create it, but all messages are now gone, fortunately it was my own mailbox with few messages.

I am open to suggestions, will keep on googling, if I find a solution I will post it.

Thanks Again.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You can simply copy restored /var/vmail to the running server, and set correct file owner (vmail:vmail) and permission (0700).

Personally, i suggest you try to restore missed emails for ONE mailbox first, so that you won't mess up the new server.

Please clearly explain below items:

- What are your source and destination mailboxes? Please show us the full/absolute path on file system.
- How did you copy them. Show us the detailed shell commands and their output.

Got it to work, the trick is to copy only the message files to an existing folder on the target machine, nothing else (index etc). If a folder has to be created on the target server it must be created with the mail client or web based client. Got some info from the following url :

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/201 … 59493.html

Thanks again

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Please clearly explain below items:

- What are your source and destination mailboxes? Please show us the full/absolute path on file system.
- How did you copy them. Show us the detailed shell commands and their output.

Thanks for your sharing.

windigo wrote:

If a folder has to be created on the target server it must be created with the mail client or web based client.

Not exactly.
You can create a new IMAP folder with command 'mkdir'. For example:

# mkdir .TestFolder

There's a dot in folder name, and you must set correct file owner (vmail:vmail) and permission (0700) for newly created IMAP folders (and mail messages too).