1 (edited by andrewtblake 2012-03-23 02:13:32)

Topic: tcp connections

Ever since we installed iRedMail our TCP connection pattern has been very strange.

Right up to the minute we installed we had a baseline of 0 connections, with one or two happening every few minutes.

Then we installed iRedMail on our server, and the pattern of connections changed radically (and immediately): now we never have fewer than 12 connections, and the number shoots up to about 40 every five minutes -- exactly as though there were a cron job with a "1,6 * * * *" specification (or one with a */5 that comes in a minute later), although I can't find one on our machine.

The connections seem to be all on our MySQL port, and I have checked with the MySQL process list and they do seem to be processes accessing the vmail database. But I don't understand the reason for them, and it seems to be affecting our server's stability. Not to mention making our monitor graph look ugly.

We are running Debian 5 (lenny) on a 64 bit platform with the latest stable iRedMail sitting on MySQL 5.1.49

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: tcp connections

Working as designed.
We have some SQL query tables in Postfix and Dovecot, that means they will connect to MySQL server and perform SQL queries.

I don't think it will affect server stability.