Topic: Back-up / Archive strategy?

I’m looking for a solution to archiving and backing-up mail for about 100 heavy users.

I understand that large Imap folders take a long time to load, and my users will primarily be using a web client (SOGo).

When a mail client loads, do all Emails load, or only those in the inbox? That is, will my users have better day to day performance if only their “working mail” is in the inbox, and their older mail is in a separate folder? The separate folder would be a shared Imap folder located on separate storage.

I’m very new to this, and would like to bounce my idea off some more knowledgeable people.

This is what I’m planning:

Create a 2nd domain: archive.com

Mount storage to /var/vmail/archive, and use as mailbox for users of archive.com

Set-up user1@mydoamin.com to bcc incoming and outgoing mail to user1@archive.com

Set-up mail rules for all incoming mail to user1@archive.com to be sent to a folder

Share that folder with user1@mydomain.com

Delete all mail older than 6 months to a year in mydomain.com’s maildir

If this is possible, it would give me a method to automatically archive mail, and have a back-up of all current mail.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Mark

By the way, I’m LOVING IredMail Pro! It makes everything so much easier

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Back-up / Archive strategy?

It sounds simple, easy, and useful.

rooster wrote:

Set-up user1@mydoamin.com to bcc incoming and outgoing mail to user1@archive.com
Set-up mail rules for all incoming mail to user1@archive.com to be sent to a folder

It's better to achieve this with one sender/recipient bcc rule.
Reference: http://marc.info/?l=postfix-users&m … 15&w=2

rooster wrote:

By the way, I’m LOVING IredMail Pro! It makes everything so much easier

Thanks very much for your purchase to support iRedMail project. Enjoy. smile

Another way is achiving with Amavisd.

Use this in amavis to send copies of all messages to another host:

$archive_quarantine_method = 'smtp:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:25';
$archive_quarantine_to = '%a';
@archive_quarantine_to_maps = (\$archive_quarantine_to);

Of course you can store on local file system instead of forwarding to another host. Refer to Amavisd doc for more detail:
http://www.amavis.org/amavisd-new-docs.html#quarantine (Search 'local:' in this page)

With 2.7.0-pre12 you may provide a failover server for any *_method which uses an smtp or lmtp protocol.
A limitation is that all alternatives must use the same protocol (e.g. you can't mix a 'local:' with 'smtp:' in the same list).
For example:

$archive_quarantine_method = [ 'smtp:[::1]:20025', 'smtp:[10.0.0.10]:10025' ];
@archive_quarantine_to_maps = ( 'quarantine@example.com' ); 

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Another way is achiving with Amavisd.

Use this in amavis to send copies of all messages to another host:

$archive_quarantine_method = 'smtp:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:25';
$archive_quarantine_to = '%a';
@archive_quarantine_to_maps = (\$archive_quarantine_to);

Of course you can store on local file system instead of forwarding to another host. Refer to Amavisd doc for more detail:
http://www.amavis.org/amavisd-new-docs.html#quarantine (Search 'local:' in this page)

With 2.7.0-pre12 you may provide a failover server for any *_method which uses an smtp or lmtp protocol.
A limitation is that all alternatives must use the same protocol (e.g. you can't mix a 'local:' with 'smtp:' in the same list).
For example:

$archive_quarantine_method = [ 'smtp:[::1]:20025', 'smtp:[10.0.0.10]:10025' ];
@archive_quarantine_to_maps = ( 'quarantine@example.com' ); 

Hi there,

Will this work the same way as always_bcc in postfix? I mean, that the original message will be bcc'ied to quarantine@example.com for archive?