1 (edited by vigor28 2012-02-14 05:29:16)

Topic: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

Does iRedMail support custom login name (custom username) for the mail user (POP3/SMTP/IMAP)?

Webmail is no issue, login can be with e-mail address.

we have a few thousand users on our mail server (IceWarp) - all of them with custom login- username - different from the e-mail address.
Migration to iRedMail -Pro would require us to change login (username on the client side) and that is out of the question.
We need this  so we can setup a new MTA (iRedmail is one of the options that we are considering) and simply by changing the MX records and aliases during the offload hours to migrate users to new server without any disruption.

2

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

Sorry, could you please explain what "custom login name" is?

3 (edited by vigor28 2012-02-14 05:29:45)

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

standard postfix login is e-mail address. Correct?
Postfix can be extended to allow custom login - username and it can be different from the e-mail address.
In that case user login is (when sending or receiving mail) with username/password combination - NOT e-mail address/password combination.

4

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

vigor28 wrote:

standard postfix login is e-mail address. Correct?
Postfix can be extended to allow custom login - username and it can be different from the e-mail address.
In that case user login (when sending or receiving mail) with username/password combination - NOT e-mail address/password combination.

as I mentioned before, we have large number of users, and we are considering porting to other MTA. This is MUST for us so we can export user data (e-mail, username, password) and migrate - recreate in new MTA.
when done, we are planing to just change MX and aliases rec. in our NS (low TTL) - users are all in the same time zone...in the morning they will be conecting to the new server without even knowing. We done that several times, but always with same MTA. (for upgrading hardware or similar).

5

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Sorry, could you please explain what "custom login name" is?

simply YES or NO would be correct answer.
THX

6

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

vigor28 wrote:

simply YES or NO would be correct answer.

It's impossible for me to answer it before i completely know what the issue is.

Normally, iRedMail requires full email address as login username. With user alias (it's the same as Nickname in Google Apps), user can login with custom email addresses also. For example:

User A has email address user.a@example.com, but he can has addition alias addresses like user.a.alias@example.com, another.alias@example.com, etc. Then user A can login to manage his mailbox with one of them, with the same password.

Not sure whether it's what you want or not.

7

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
vigor28 wrote:

simply YES or NO would be correct answer.

It's impossible for me to answer it before i completely know what the issue is.

Normally, iRedMail requires full email address as login username. With user alias (it's the same as Nickname in Google Apps), user can login with custom email addresses also. For example:

User A has email address user.a@example.com, but he can has addition alias addresses like user.a.alias@example.com, another.alias@example.com, etc. Then user A can login to manage his mailbox with one of them, with the same password.

Not sure whether it's what you want or not.

user can login with custom email addresses also - this is not what we need.

POSTFIX can have optional (custom) login; please see att. file (Ispconfig implementation)

Post's attachments

optional_login.jpg
optional_login.jpg 43.5 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-02-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

8

Re: Custom login name - username (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)...

I'm so sorry i don't quite understand what the "Login (optional)" is, i need to know how it's implemented, then it should be easy to know whether you can achieve it with iRedMail.

Output of command 'postconf -n' and related SQL/LDAP lookup files in Postfix setting 'smtpd_sender_login_maps' should help a lot.