Topic: Alias support in iRedMail Pro MySQL

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate the MySQL Pro version of RedMail by using the demo admin panel and am confused about iRedMail's aliases.  It seems as though an alias is actually a mailing list.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding.  I looked for clarifying documentation, but cannot seem to find any documentation on the site.

I am looking to see if iRedMail provides the ability to have several alternate email addresses for the same email box.  For instance, I would want: eric@domain.com, ericb@domain.com, eb@domain.com eric.b@domain.com, etc. all point to the same email box, and all be accessible via a single login.  In other mail servers, this would be deemed an email alias, however considering that email aliases have fields for moderators, users that can to the list, etc, it would imply that it is an email list, and not an alias as I would have expected.

Can you please let me know if the above functionality exists and if so, how to configure it?

Thanks,

Eric

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Alias support in iRedMail Pro MySQL

It does, but you do have to have the pro version.  Otherwise you can create aliases in phpMyAdmin (that's how I've been doing it while evaluating using the iRedAdmin free version).

Re: Alias support in iRedMail Pro MySQL

benze wrote:

am confused about iRedMail's aliases.  It seems as though an alias is actually a mailing list.

You're right.

benze wrote:

I am looking to see if iRedMail provides the ability to have several alternate email addresses for the same email box.  For instance, I would want: eric@domain.com, ericb@domain.com, eb@domain.com eric.b@domain.com, etc. all point to the same email box, and all be accessible via a single login.

This is iRedMail related, not an iRedAdmin-Pro issue.

iRedMail OpenLDAP edition supports this feature (we call it "user alias", it's "nickname" in Google Apps), so iRedAdmin-Pro-LDAP supports this too. But iRedMail MySQL edition doesn't support this feature directly, you can use mail alias instead. For example:

- Create mail alias ericb@domain.com, then add eric@domain.com as the only one alias member.
- Create mail alias eb@domain.com, then add eric@domain.com as the only one alias member.
- Create mail alias eric.b@domain.com, then add eric@domain.com as the only one alias member.

Then all emails sent to these 4 email addresses will be delivered to same mailbox.