Topic: [SOLVED] SMTP error: 454 Authentication Failed

Jul 15 14:16:07 mail roundcube: Invalid response code received from server (454):
Jul 15 14:16:07 mail roundcube: [15-Jul-2011 14:16:07 +0300]: SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: Invalid response code received from server (Code: 454) in /var/www/roundcubemail-0.3.1/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1365

???

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: [SOLVED] SMTP error: 454 Authentication Failed

Could you please post related Postfix log in /var/log/maillog?

I am also seeing this issue when i just recently switched to ssl certificate/key that now has a passphrase (so when restarting apache, it now asks for passphrase) - previously, i had ones with NO passphrase for convenience sake.

after placing new ssl certs, i noticed i had IMAP login issues with webmail - fixed this by putting the ssl_password in the dovecot.conf which allowed me to login but when sending mail, i see:

the log shows me:
SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: Invalid response code received from server (Code: 454) in /usr/share/apache2/roundcubemail-0.3.1/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1365 (POST /mail/?_task=mail&_action=send)

thanks

jukazu_ithr wrote:

the log shows me:
SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: Invalid response code received from server (Code: 454) in /usr/share/apache2/roundcubemail-0.3.1/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1365 (POST /mail/?_task=mail&_action=send)

Any related log in Dovecot log file?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
jukazu_ithr wrote:

the log shows me:

Any related log in Dovecot log file?

yep - sorry, should of posted this also:

Fatal: pop3-login: Can't load private key file <path_to_keyfile>: error:0906A068:PEM routines:PEM_do_header:bad password read
and for imap-login also.

it sounds logical since the new key has the passphrase - but i assumed specifying in dovecot.conf ssl_password was enough for this error but it does not seem to look at that parameter/value from webmail when sending emails

Did you try "ssl_key_password" instead of "ssl_password"?
Reference: http://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConf … _key_files

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Did you try "ssl_key_password" instead of "ssl_password"?
Reference: http://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConf … _key_files

==== Provide basic information to help troubleshoot and get quick answer ====
- iRedMail version:
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Any related log? Log is helpful for troubleshooting.
====

thanks for that - i changed tactics and put no passphrase in the key now but i am pretty sure i also tried both ssl_password and ssl_key_password

anyways, you can flag this as closed now thanks!

Hi zhang,

I bought a SSL key, and I follow the installation instruction but after installation the ssl, I can't send mail, I got error 454 on Roundcube.

SUNG

Dear sungml,

You replied to a 4 year old thread. Please create a new topic and describe your issue clearly, attach related log so that others can help troubleshooting.