Topic: Ubuntu cannot resolve domains after iRedMail installation

Hello,

This happened twice already for me so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence.

Basically I'm running a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04, set up LAMP and proftpd which is all fine, but right after I install iRedMail 0.7.2, the system is then unable to resolve any domain names, which means tons of things including apt-get does not work because the system is then only capable of using ip addresses. The files /etc/hosts /etc/hostname and /etc/resolv.conf seem to be in order. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Ubuntu cannot resolve domains after iRedMail installation

iRedMail won't change /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf, It just simply copy them to /var/spool/postfix/etc/.

Are they changed after installing iRedMail?

They are not changed and so I'm trying to figure out what on earth causes the machine to fail resolving the domains.

It's a VPS on OpenVZ by the way. Could anything in the iRedMail package in any way interfere with the dns?

No idea yet.
Does your firewall rules of iptables block network port (53) of DNS service? You can check it with command:

# iptables -L -n

Rules are defined in /etc/default/iptables by default, created by iRedMail.