Topic: Questions before Installing onto server

Hi Guys
I just want to know if I can choose mysql or openLDAP during install on the open source setup?  Also does open source offer quota per mailbox or is that under the pro setup?

Also if I go with the open source and if I decide to go pro would I have to reinstall the whole server?

Also does open source offer the anti spam setup or not?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Questions before Installing onto server

To be clear, we have only one edition of iRedMail, it's free and open source. iRedAdmin-Pro is an addition web-based admin panel to help you manage mail accounts and related stuffs, it makes your life easier.

So when i talk 'open source edition' below, it means open source edition of iRedAdmin, 'Pro edition' means iRedAdmin-Pro (Pro edition of iRedAdmin).

nwohiobb wrote:

I just want to know if I can choose mysql or openLDAP during install on the open source setup?

Yes you can.

nwohiobb wrote:

Also does open source offer quota per mailbox or is that under the pro setup?

Yes. Here's feature comparison:
http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

nwohiobb wrote:

Also if I go with the open source and if I decide to go pro would I have to reinstall the whole server?

No, just install iRedAdmin-Pro. Here's tutorial used to migrate iRedAdmin from open source edition to Pro edition:
http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … ro/OSE-Pro

nwohiobb wrote:

Also does open source offer the anti spam setup or not?

iRedMail does offer anti-spam and anti-virus.
You can manage some features of them with iRedAdmin-Pro.

So the open source doesnt have the web based admin control panel?

nwohiobb wrote:

So the open source doesnt have the web based admin control panel?

It does have.

Again: To be clear, we have only ONE edition of iRedMail, it's free and open source. iRedAdmin is an addition web-based admin panel to help you manage mail accounts and related stuffs.

So when we talk 'open source edition', we're talking about open source edition of iRedAdmin, 'Pro edition' means iRedAdmin-Pro (Pro edition of iRedAdmin).

So on the free one If I wanted to setup forwarding to a different email address I would have to buy the IredmailAdmin in order to do this correct?

Because I already have a mail server setup only thing it doest work is the mail quota setup. Does this mail quota you got in this iredmail actually work or not?

nwohiobb wrote:

So on the free one If I wanted to setup forwarding to a different email address I would have to buy the IredmailAdmin in order to do this correct?

No, you don't need to purchase iRedAdmin-Pro in order to do this.

iRedMail provides all mail server related features, what you need to do is find a tool to manage them, e.g. manage mail accounts, set mail forwarding addresses, etc. You can achieve these tasks with phpMyAdmin, phpLDAPadmin, or other tools.

iRedAdmin-Pro is easier to achieve these tasks, and it looks more professional. That's the difference.

nwohiobb wrote:

Because I already have a mail server setup only thing it doest work is the mail quota setup. Does this mail quota you got in this iredmail actually work or not?

Is this mail server a iRedMail server? If so, it should work as expected.
Per-user mailbox quota limit works since iRedMail-0.1, which was released on Jun 28, 2008.

7 (edited by nwohiobb 2011-07-09 02:36:17)

No this mail server is not iRedmail setup it was a custom setup as postfix+mysql+dovecot setup. Also I have my own custom script for forwarding emails can I use that on iRedmail or not?

I'm afraid that we can't provide support for mail server which was built by you manually. Because we don't know how each components were configured, how they should work together. We just support iRedMail.

Ok I guess your not getting my point here what I am planning on doing is rebuilding the mail server using iredmail free open source one and I want to know if I can use my custom script to forward the emails since I do not want to spend 400 dollars for open source software.

Here's my suggestion:

- Setup a iRedMail server in a VM, e.g. VMware, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, Xen, KVM, etc.
- Test features you required with this VM.

I repeat:

iRedMail is free (no money cost), it provides all mail server related features, what you need to do is find a tool to manage them, e.g. manage mail accounts, set mail forwarding addresses, etc. You can achieve these tasks with phpMyAdmin, phpLDAPadmin, or other tools.

iRedAdmin-Pro just helps you to manage features which provided by iRedMail, and it's easier to achieve these management tasks, and it looks more professional. That's the difference.

Alright this is about the most worst support you can even get. I dont mess around with VM's at all so I after I just seen here it doesnt look like I will go with iredmail because I cant use my one custom script for forwarding emails since it probably wont work with it.

What does 'custom script' exactly mean? A sieve rule file?

the script is just a separate webpage that is tied into mysql database.