Topic: help to configure iredmail server for internet use

Hi,
I am newbie here, even though I have installed iredmail in a machine( Ubuntu10.04 desktop edition 64-bit fresh install) behind router having private address '192.168.1.10' and host name as 'server' and fqdn is 'server.xyz.com', I can say it is very easy to install and working fine.
Now I have assigned a task to use the same server for our company as a mail server, we already registered our domain xyz.com with yahoo, and mx record is pointing to yahoo servers (even yahoo is acting as our mail server).
We have one static public ip adress, and we are using a router and I am aware of forwarding any traffic from router to my local system.

In this scenario what I have to do?
As per my assumptions i need to go to yahoo domain control panel and add an 'a' record for server.xyz.com and in my mx record I need to replace "yahoo server" with server.xyz.com and in my router all my email traffic like pop,smtp,imap should be redirected to my local 192.168.1.10 server.

Please correct me if I am wrong in the above assumption, and please let me know that is there any necessity of our own dns server(for dkim and spf).
I don't mind even if you people redirect me to any link or links .. smile

Regards
siddartha

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: help to configure iredmail server for internet use

There's one problem with router: All mails will be considered as coming from your router, not from other servers.
It's not good for anti-spam.

Also, DKIM and SPF are highly recommended. In SPF record, you should use IP address of router as mail server address.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

There's one problem with router: All mails will be considered as coming from your router, not from other servers.
    It's not good for anti-spam.

In that case what is the best idea to overcome that problem?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Also, DKIM and SPF are highly recommended. In SPF record, you should use IP address of router as mail server address.

so, you mean that we should have our own dns server with dkim and spf records set?

Regards
siddartha

siddartha.g wrote:

so, you mean that we should have our own dns server with dkim and spf records set?

Sorry, my mistake, it's not clear.

I mean, you should use IP address of router as mail server address in SPF record.

What I understood is
1. There is a problem with router in my scenario.
2. I can overcome that problem by configuring dkim and spf record

Please correct me if I am wrong

And also Please answer another question of me

Is our own dns server is required for the spf and dkim or can we use our domain registrar(yahoo) for that purpose?

siddartha.g wrote:

Is our own dns server is required for the spf and dkim or can we use our domain registrar(yahoo) for that purpose?

You can just add SPF/DKIM related DNS records in your ISP (Yahoo), not required to setup your own DNS server.

Thank you very much for your reply..
Please also answer for my router related question.

Regards
siddartha

siddartha.g wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply..
Please also answer for my router related question.

Regards
siddartha

Hi siddartha,
I have same doubts like you..Is your mail server working and up now?I had iredmail server installed on centos 6 and working perfect in my LAN..Can you please guide me to configure it over the internet?Even me registered a domain name in bigrock.in and i have got the access to the control panal....What are the changes i need to do in my control panal? Right now i didnt got any static ip for my internet...Is it must for a mail server?Please help me...