Topic: Rejected incoming mail

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hey,

Been using iRedMail for around a month now, all is going great with it, was hoping somebody could help me out a little however, looking at the logwatch emails I get sent to my postmaster account everyday I can see the number of rejected mail is considerably higher than the accepted, I understand this may be the case is the server is under account for example, I'd like to think my clients are not losing business through this email server... all email functions are working fine and everyone get's on with their day without any hassle... has anybody had anything like or perhaps got a reasoning for why it's so high all the time? I'll put an extract down below :-

###################################
--------------------- Postfix Begin ------------------------

167   Miscellaneous warnings                         167

149.449M  Bytes accepted                         156,708,227
   24.786M  Bytes sent via SMTP                     25,989,757
  165.749M  Bytes delivered                        173,799,934
  107.142K  Bytes forwarded                            109,713
========   ==================================================

367   Accepted                                    26.31%
     1028   Rejected                                    73.69%
--------   --------------------------------------------------
     1395   Total                                      100.00%

96   5xx Reject HELO/EHLO                         9.34%
      303   5xx Reject unknown user                     29.47%
      629   5xx Reject sender address                   61.19%
     1028   Total 5xx Rejects                          100.00%

5000   4xx Reject relay denied                     98.35%
       57   4xx Reject HELO/EHLO                         1.12%
       27   4xx Reject sender address                    0.53%
     5084   Total 4xx Rejects                          100.00%
#####################################

Is this just because of the amount of spam sent to the mail server or are the rejected mail genuine emails/leads for clients? This is everyday occurrence and I though it was dy down but it hasn't, just kept the same 20%/80%+ or so split.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can adjust my configuration so I allow more emails in to at least see if they're bad or not?

###########
-Linux Ubuntu 16.04
-iRedMail 0.9.7
-SQL
-NGINX
-Not Pro - Will upgrade to pro when all features are considered stable.
###########

Anybody's help is much appreciated,

Thank you and kind regards.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Rejected incoming mail

Just a little update to this post...

I ran postfix -n to see what para,maters I had under "smtpd_recipient_restrictions and this is what is currently set..

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unknown_recipient_domain reject_non_fqdn_r                                                                                                                                                             ecipient reject_unlisted_recipient check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:7777 perm                                                                                                                                                             it_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination

Does this need amending to allow the other email to be received? If yes, where is this value found, I'm guessing postfix/main.conf?

Much appreciated

I don't understand this thread at all. What's your issue?

Rejecting emails doesn't means something goes wrong. If you want to check which emails were rejected, please check Postfix log file to figure it out.
FYI: http://www.iredmail.org/docs/file.locations.html

I'm looking into wether I am actually getting all incoming emails, or if they are been rejected which the logs show a high percentage of emails been rejected...

Just seems odd that such a majority would not be allowed to come through to the mailboxes..

Connor

If you have an issue, please create a new topic for your issue. This thread doesn't have a issue, so, closed now.