Topic: Vacation (OOTO) autoreplies for catch all address...

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.6
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:  CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
====

> Works when you send the email directly to the catchall email address,
> but not when the message is sent to an unknown address.

Hi Dave,

You can try global sieve rule instead.
Let’s move our discussion to the forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/

Hi Zhang,

Will attempt to do that.  Have to figure out how...  <g>

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Vacation (OOTO) autoreplies for catch all address...

You should describe what your issue is and what you want to achieve. Although i know what you're talking about, but others cannot help at all.

In your case, please try to use a global sieve rule to send vacation message to every sender.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You should describe what your issue is and what you want to achieve. Although i know what you're talking about, but others cannot help at all.

In your case, please try to use a global sieve rule to send vacation message to every sender.

Client sold company.  New owner wants to use OOTO to notify existing customers about new company contacts.  So, *any* email that arrives at old domain needs to send OOTO.  However...

> OOTO Works when you send the email directly to the catchall email address,

Any tips on how to interface with "global sieve"?  Is this a iRedmail-Pro thing or is it necessary to do something directly with dovecot-pigeonhole?

tia
dave

dlester wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Client sold company.  New owner wants to use OOTO to notify existing customers about new company contacts.  So, *any* email that arrives at old domain needs to send OOTO.  However...

> OOTO Works when you send the email directly to the catchall email address,

Any tips on how to interface with "global sieve"?  Is this a iRedmail-Pro thing or is it necessary to do something directly with dovecot-pigeonhole?

tia
dave

Well, I gave up trying to get an OOTO style autoresponse for a catchall email account.  I tried a lot of different things mostly centered around trying before and after sieve scripts as defined in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf.  I never overcame the vacation function's requirement to find a match in the :addresses array for an email address in the mail envelope.

So since I had to get this done today, I cheeped out and hand tooled  managesieve.sieve for the catchall account.  I added all of the email addresses that used to serviced by the sold domains into the appropriate :addresses array.

If someone sends an email to any of those hardcoded addresses, they do get the autoresponse.  However, I suspect if that same person would send an email to a different hardcoded address they would fall into the 1 per day limit in the sieve rule.  I don't think that in this particular case it makes a lot of difference.

If I am asked to do this again, I will just say that it can't be done.

dave

iRedMail uses a global sieve rule in /var/vmail/sieve/dovecot.sieve, you can add your sieve rule in this file and send vacation message to all senders. No need to list all addresses, but maybe need to check whether recipient domain is the one you want to handle.

Hi Zhang,

Yep, I messed around with that.  For me it turns out to be '/mnt/iredmail/sieve/'. (I relocated the iredmail directory during installation.)  I tracked it down by the path pointer in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf.

I wasn't comfortable with writing a script that could do the autoresponse outside of the Vacation function.  I just haven't had enough time to track down and digest sieve scripting documentation and didn't want to cause  havoc on my production email system by crashing dovecot.  Sieve is such an archaic facility that it is hard to be sure that you are dealing with the most current and applicable information.

Some day when I have nothing else to do, I will school myself better about sieve scripting at the email global level.

Thanks for your help, though.

dave