Topic: Unauthenticated account

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): Latest
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Please suggest if appropriate
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): Please suggest if appropriate
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Please suggest if appropriate
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Good afternoon,

I would like to set up a mail server to act as an alerting system for a network. Some of the monitoring tools and utilities I am looking at have the ability to send email but not authenticate, or have insecure methods to save passwords.

Just to make this easier I am thinking about having an unauthenticated email account for such alerts on a server with no internet access, used only for this purpose. It would simply be emails passing to and from "alerts@mynetwork.local" with messages such as "Low free disk space on fileserver" etc.

Could anyone advise how I might do this? When creating a new email user a password is required. Thanks in advance and regards.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Unauthenticated account

*) Isn't it easier to send email with smtp auth? It's 2017 and most alerting software should support smtp auth. SMTP auth with TLS secure connection is the only way to send email with default iRedMail setting.
*) Anyway, here's the doc for unauth sending.
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/allow.user … ation.html

Again, please do it the right way.

Re: Unauthenticated account

I absolutely agree it is a bad idea but there are some tools that don't seem to have the option, 2017 or not.

Thank you for the documentation, I'm sorry I missed it I do look before posting.