Topic: Roundcube Upgrade Does Not Update Version Number...or Did It Fail?

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):  0.9.6
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: centos 7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====
After upgrading from 0.9.5-1 to 0.9.6, everything seemed to work except the Roundcube version reported in the user login and /var/www/roundcube/index.php still say 1.2.0.  Also, there is no Roundcube 1.2.3 directory, just a symlink to Roundcube 1.2.0.  How can I verify the upgrade worked?  Upgrade command was ./bin/installto.sh /var/www/roundcubemail/ which was run from the roundcube complete source directory as instructed.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Roundcube Upgrade Does Not Update Version Number...or Did It Fail?

jeremyjvogel wrote:

Upgrade command was ./bin/installto.sh /var/www/roundcubemail/

if you see any output of this command?

Do you have rsync installed? Its necessary for the script to work.

Sounds to me like the symbolic link is still pointing to the old installation, which might still be upgraded, but it's been installed in the old folder with the old version number. When I upgrade Roundcube, I copy the new extracted archive to /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3, and create a symbolic link (I get rid of the old one if one exists).

sudo ln -s /opt/www/roundcubemail-1.2.3 /opt/www/roundcubemail

Make sure you give the web server ownership of the folder and the symbolic link. Run the upgrade, and point it to /opt/www/roundcubemail instead of the actual roundcube folder with the version number.

You might have a different location depending on which OS you're using (I'm using Debian).

Hope that helps!

Upgrading by copying files in new version to old version is not enough, because some new Roundcube requires SQL structure change. Please upgrade Roundcube with the "bin/installto.sh" script shipped in (NEW) roundcube, it will handle all required changes.

Mentioned in Roundcube official doc:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/wiki/Upgrade

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I run the upgrade as referenced in the UPGRADING file, after doing all that I previously mentioned.

There seems to be a bug in the roundcube installer:

https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/5562

Maybe someone can create a workaround?

Roundcube upgrade script "bin/installto.sh" requires:

- rsync
- php function "system" not disabled in php.ini
- sql user "roundcube" has all required privileges

Then it will works fine.

OK, the PHP system function has been disabled (seems to be the default setting in Ubuntu 16.04). I've enabled it and the update proceeded. Thanks for the hint!

Maybe the default setting should be corrected by the iRedMail-script?

Thanks a lot guys.  Removing the "system" option from the disabled list in php.ini and re-running the script fixed it.  The folder still says 1.2.0, but the version when using Roundcube is correct and the script had a lot more output than the first time I ran it.  I should mention that I ran the script without copying the new folders manually.

@ZhangHuangbin Is is recommended to re-disable the function system after the update?

alex42 wrote:

@ZhangHuangbin Is is recommended to re-disable the function system after the update?

Yes.
PHP applications can use `system` function to call other commands, so we disable it by default.

Then it should be worth to extend the upgrade tutorial:

Note: package rsync must be installed and php function "system" not disabled in php.ini on your server before upgrading.

http://www.iredmail.org/docs/upgrade.ir … 0.9.6.html

Bronko wrote:

Then it should be worth to extend the upgrade tutorial:

You're right. But i moved a little further: i updated Roundcube official doc to mention this:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/wiki/Upgrade

* package rsync is required, used to copy new Roundcube files to existing Roundcube installation.
* php function system must be enabled in php.ini, so that our script can call rsync command to copy files.
* SQL user used for Roundcube db connection must have required privileges to update SQL tables in Roundcube db.