Topic: Recommend a reliable hosting for iredmail pro

I want the community from your experience to recommend a good hosting for iredmail pro to me. I would like something much dedicated but cheap.

I am considering digital ocean https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/ but I have no Technical experience to understand what requirement I would need. I am also considering amazon but understand that pricing can spike from time to time. I dont want to wake up tomorrow and they tell me my bill is gazillion USD

I will only be hosting 2 domain names with my webmail on this account using one server.

For a start, we can consider a solution that can support up to 2000 webmail user accounts. Each user will have up to between 500MB to 1GB mail storage.

Migration is not something you want to do from time to time, once decision is made its got to be so for a long time. So please recommend to me from your experience.

Thanks

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Recommend a reliable hosting for iredmail pro

I personally run mail server on Linode (https://www.linode.com ) for years, so far so good. My IP was blocked in a not so famous DNSBL service, and i asked Linode support team to help request to remove it (must be requested by network vendor), they responded fast and got it done quickly. Open few support tickets before, all were responded and solved quickly. I'm satisfied.

DigitalOcean is another famous vendor too, but since i didn't use it myself, so no comment.

taerese wrote:

For a start, we can consider a solution that can support up to 2000 webmail user accounts. Each user will have up to between 500MB to 1GB mail storage.

The number of mail accounts you host doesn't matter that much, but mail traffic and the concurrent connected accounts matters. For example, hosting 10000 users but just send 100 emails per-day, and hosting 10 users but send 1000 emails per-hour, required CPU/Memory/Disk storage are different.

3 (edited by taerese 2016-11-20 00:25:28)

Thanks for the quick update. From experience even when we had couple of thousands users there were less than 300 outgoing messages daily but what I do notice is virtually all users that login daily would connect multiple times daily.

Based on that analysis what sort of linode plan do you think will be sufficient per month?
https://www.linode.com/pricing

Also is the user mailbox size /dependent/configured to the RAM e.g 2GB or the Server Storage e.g from 24SSD size?

NOTE: I am still expecting your update to the email I responded to in the morning "Migration request"

With 300 outgoing messages (i assume you receive same incoming messages), the basic plan - Linode 2GB - should be enough, 4GB will be better.

About the disk space, usually the mailboxes take most disk space, and SQL databases, rotated log files, etc. The disk size is totally depends on your need.

I like Digital Ocean, very much, but had multiple bad experiences running mail servers there. The issue is, at least for DO's California POP, that the IP addresses in use are known spam sources, and large providers such as AOL, Microsoft, and Yahoo will block them. There are ways to get off these blacklists, but it's an extra step, and it doesn't always work -- in my case, AOL never would lift the blacklist because it continued to get spam from the same subnet, but not from my servers. So, basically, it was a bad neighborhood for an email server.

I use RootBSD instead, and it's been foolproof. It's a little more expensive but I have not had the same issues with blacklisting.

Again, I like Digital Ocean, but it just wasn't a good place for an email server.

Thanks for the update. But should I need to be worried about ip address when my outgoing mails are relayed through an external SMTP?

I am choosing turnkeyinternet VPS for my iredmail server but before I make that commitment I wish admin to confirm to me if this server spec is okay for iredmail.

You can check it here: https://turnkeyinternet.net/cloud-hoste … rvers-vps/