Topic: Newbie install question

Hi,

Tried doing an install today for the 1st time and have a quastion regarding domains.

Assuming the following
Domain     : example.com
Server       : mail.example.com with a fixed ip of 10.10.10.10

when installing iRedMail it asks for a default domain which can not the same as that of the server.

Why is this ?? as that's the domain I want to send and receive mails from and the A and MX records point to that domain/ip address ??

It's probably a stoopid q, but I gotta know smile

And once it's set can it be changed or should a bare metal install be done to ensure no files remain unchanged.

Thanks in advance

Karl

==== Required information ====
iRedMail-0.9.5-1
UBUNTU SERVER 16.04
MariaDB
Nginx
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Newbie install question

During installation, iRedMail asks you to input the first mail domain, and it cannot be the same as server hostname. Because:

*) Crontab and other applications will generate some emails to system users, e.g. root user. and the address will be <system_user>@<server_hostname>.

*) Someone may send email to your mail address, e.g. <mail_user>@<mail_domain_name>. Here the 'mail_domain_name' is the first mail domain name iRedMail installer asks you to input.

If your mail domain name is same as server hostname, Postfix doesn't know whether it's a system user, or a virtual mail user. So if someone sends email to your from Gmail/yahoo/hotmail/..., Postfix may incorrect reject it because your server doesn't have this system user.

Thanks for the reply.

OK So i can use a subdomain of the main domain when asked at installation E.G mail.example.com and that will work ok ??

Or do I need a competely different domain ? E.G nukes-can-kill.com

This whole domain issue has me confused

Thanks for the help

it_user wrote:

OK So i can use a subdomain of the main domain when asked at installation E.G mail.example.com and that will work ok ??

Sure, with correct DNS records. And the email address will be "<user>@mail.example.com".