Topic: Name based virtual Hosting

So everyone understands here is the description:

What is name based virtual hosting?
All domains on that server will be sharing a single IP. It's easier to configure than IP based virtual hosting, you only need to configure DNS of the domain to map it with its correct IP address and then configure Apache to recognize it with the domain names.

So my question is how will this affect the installation of iRedMail? Is it possible to install iRedMail and use it for multiple domains under the single ip? It is more of a question on how iRedMail installation is written if only to use a single ip to domain name mapping via /etc/hosts /etc/hostname?

Since I presume that is the case I would presume it necessary to install iRedMail for each email server instance with same ip but different domain name?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Name based virtual Hosting

Easiest way to handle iRedMail server, is to install it on it's own server which doesn't host any websites or other stuff. This server has one ip and it can host email for multiple domains. All these domains will have MX DNS record that points to iRedMail server, A record will point to web server. Email settings are easy to maintain with iRedAdmin / iRedAdmin Pro.

Virtual hosting is completely diffent thing and more or less it's only website related hosting. You don't need to worry about that when you're running iRedMail on different server than websites.

As @RikuS mentioned, it's recommended to run mail server on a separated server.

iRedMail ships Apache/Nginx, so of course you can run multiple web hosts on it. The concern is easier maintenance -- if you run web hosting on different server, that will make maintenance easier.

RikuS wrote:

Easiest way to handle iRedMail server, is to install it on it's own server which doesn't host any websites or other stuff. This server has one ip and it can host email for multiple domains. All these domains will have MX DNS record that points to iRedMail server, A record will point to web server. Email settings are easy to maintain with iRedAdmin / iRedAdmin Pro.

Virtual hosting is completely diffent thing and more or less it's only website related hosting. You don't need to worry about that when you're running iRedMail on different server than websites.

Ok thanks RikuS I wasn't aware that it also had nginx as part of the install. That does it make it simpler :-)

MelRay

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

As @RikuS mentioned, it's recommended to run mail server on a separated server.

iRedMail ships Apache/Nginx, so of course you can run multiple web hosts on it. The concern is easier maintenance -- if you run web hosting on different server, that will make maintenance easier.

Zhang

Thank you for clarifying the question I had!   謝謝

MelRay wrote:

謝謝

You're welcome. Enjoy.
不客气。