1 (edited by good1ni 2016-07-26 16:33:56)

Topic: Why root@mysite.net send emails to postmaster@domain.mysite.net ???

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 # Debian 8.3 x64
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.49
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:

Jul 26 11:08:51 iredmail postfix/qmgr[5598]: 59011201355: from=<root@mysite.net>, size=15414, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jul 26 11:09:21 iredmail postfix/smtp[6452]: connect to domain.mysite.net[1.1.1.1]:25: Connection timed out
Jul 26 11:09:21 iredmail postfix/smtp[6452]: 59011201355: to=<postmaster@domain.mysite.net>, relay=none, delay=126355, delays=126325/0.01/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to domain.mysite.net[1.1.1.1]:25: Connection timed out)
====

Hello.
I have few questions:
1)who ask root@mysite.net send emails? I didn't ask him.... I even didn't creat that user
2)why root send message to postmaster@domain.mysite.net if domain.mysite.net doesn't exist at all. I have only mysite.net. Where I can fix that, so at least root will send emails to postmaster@mysite.net
3)Advice please where I need to look next time, so not to bother you on the forum?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Why root@mysite.net send emails to postmaster@domain.mysite.net ???

good1ni wrote:

1)who ask root@mysite.net send emails? I didn't ask him.... I even didn't creat that user

Maybe some cron jobs have some output,  this will cause email notification sent to 'root' user, and, from 'root' user (root@<server_hostname>).

good1ni wrote:

2)why root send message to postmaster@domain.mysite.net if domain.mysite.net doesn't exist at all. I have only mysite.net. Where I can fix that, so at least root will send emails to postmaster@mysite.net

Check /etc/postfix/aliases.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Check /etc/postfix/aliases.

THere is nothing about domain.mysite.net

# /etc/aliases
mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root
#nobody: root
hostmaster: root
usenet: root
news: root
webmaster: root
www: root
ftp: root
abuse: root
noc: root
security: root
#root: user
#clamav: root
www-data: root
nobody: root
vmail: root
root: postmaster@mysite.net
clamav: root
virusalert: root
amavis: root
iredapd: root
sogo: root

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Maybe some cron jobs have some output,  this will cause email notification sent to 'root' user, and, from 'root' user (root@<server_hostname>).

I also think so, just don't know how to check that. Because cron files refere to iredmail scripts and I don't know what I need to find in scripts.

If you wish to disable all emails sent by CRON, you can add this at the beginning of crontab file:

MAILTO=""

If you wish to disable only selected emails sent by CRON, you add this at the end of the cron jobs you want:

>/dev/null

Edit cron jobs with command 'crontab -e'.

Ok, thanks. I think you can close the tread, because I received answers.