Topic: 2 installation errors in FreeBSD

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? not yet...
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

On a brand-new FreeBSD 10.2 system, the installer, called with 'bash iRedMail.sh', fails in two places:

1. The libiconv port won't install because its version conflicts with the earlier version installed with the bash-static pkg. This error is cleared by deinstalling libiconv from the converters/libiconv directory and restarting the iRedMail installation. However...

2. The p5-DBI port fails to install due to some missing files. I've pasted the error output below.

Thanks in advance for help in fixing these issues.

===>  Installing for p5-DBI-1.636
===>  Checking if p5-DBI already installed
===>   Registering installation for p5-DBI-1.636 as automatic
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBI/work/stage/usr/local/share/man/man1/dbilogstrip.1.gz: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBI/work/stage/usr/local/share/man/man1/dbiprof.1.gz: No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBI/work/stage/usr/local/share/man/man1/dbiproxy.1.gz: No such file or directory
*** Error code 74

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBI
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBD-mysql
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/mail/spamassassin
<< ERROR >> Port was not successfully installed, please fix it manually and then re-execute this script.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: 2 installation errors in FreeBSD

The second one is a port issue, please contact port maintainer to get it fixed, i'm afraid nothing i can do here. sorry.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

The second one is a port issue, please contact port maintainer to get it fixed, i'm afraid nothing i can do here. sorry.

An update: I think both issues are due to the hosting provider, and not indicative of a problem with iRedMail. I will mention them by name -- Digital Ocean -- since they are popular among FreeBSD users. I like their services, but in this case it's not a good choice for iRedMail, for two reasons:

1. The Digital Ocean FreeBSD "droplet" (VM) comes preloaded with a bunch of pkgs installed. Uninstalling them all is not a good idea, as it can impair the system's networking.

2. I have created at least five different droplets at Digital Ocean, and all appear to be blocked by Messagelabs, an anti-spam service used by some large companies. This is from domains with valid SPF and DKIM records. Unlike other services, Messagelabs (owned by Symantec) offers no method of whitelisting.

Again, I like Digital Ocean, and recommend them for other kinds of hosting. But this isn't an iRedMail problem. I created a fresh FreeBSD 10.3 install on a virtual machine here, and iRedMail installed with no issues.

cvcvelo wrote:

1. The Digital Ocean FreeBSD "droplet" (VM) comes preloaded with a bunch of pkgs installed. Uninstalling them all is not a good idea, as it can impair the system's networking.

I think uninstalling all packages and just get the minimal base OS should be fine. The network settings are defined in config files like /etc/rc.conf (and others), it doesn't require a package from ports tree (or binary packages). Maybe you can give it a another try -- uninstall all (but keep 'pkg' and upgrade it), update the ports tree, install iRedMail.

5 (edited by cvcvelo 2016-07-30 08:17:10)

I think it should be OK too, but after removing all pkgs and rebooting, I was unable to reach the system. I couldn't ssh in, and even the virtual console wouldn't work because the VM supported login via ssh keys and not passwords.

Most likely the hosting provider uses one or more pkgs as part of its setup. For example the 'arping' pkg might be required to work, but I did not take the time to investigate which pkgs were mandatory.

And even if I had solved this, there was still the problem of Messagelabs blocking messages from the hosting provider's IP addresses at its SFO data center.

Again, I like Digital Ocean very much but I can't recommend their VMs (at least not the ones in San Francisco) for use as an iRedMail server.