1 (edited by slipstream 2016-07-15 21:58:17)

Topic: External Clients who don't identify themselves correctly

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.4
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:  Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):  Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi there,

Does anyone have any suggestions to deal with external mail servers whoc don't identify themselves correctly?

Today and yesterday I've just noticed a few instances, examples below:

postfix/smtpd[2803]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail.customersupport.marksandspencer.com[31.221.64.165]: 554 5.7.1 <ukpromsesa01.mspro.local>: Helo command rejected: ACCESS DENIED. Your email was rejected because the sending mail server does not identify itself correctly (.local); from=<NO_REPLY@customersupport.marksandspencer.com> to=<me@mydomain.co.uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<ukpromsesa01.mspro.local>

postfix/smtpd[22240]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mailerd2.prod.coc.ibmcloud.com[208.43.106.233]: 554 5.7.1 <pucopute1.wdc01.caas.local>: Helo command rejected: ACCESS DENIED. Your email was rejected because the sending mail server does not identify itself correctly (.local); from=<crucialeusupport@micron.com> to=<me@mydomain.co.uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<pucopute1.wdc01.caas.local>

Obviously my mail server is doing the right thing, but to be honest I would like to see those emails.

Ideally they would fix the issues at their end, but is there a way to add exceptions for certain senders?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: External Clients who don't identify themselves correctly

Suggestions:

*) Disable helo rule in /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre which blocks '.local' TEMPORARILY.
*) Contact the postmaster of sender server to fix the HELO identity.
*) Re-enable helo rule.