1 (edited by Guido64 2016-05-31 03:56:16)

Topic: New mail marked as read while its not read yet

==== Required information ====
0.9.5-1                    - iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
Debian 8.4 (Jessie) - Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
MySQL                    - Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
Apache 2.4             - Web server (Apache or Nginx):
Sorry no                  - Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
                               - Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Many times (not everytime) wen I start Thunderbird I discover there are new mails which are marked as read. They are marked read while I never read them. I'm also using Android mail to connect to the exchange server. Sometimes I get a nice push mail message but many times not while there is new mail.

Nobody has access to my server or accounts I checked the logs to make sure so I guess somehow new received messages get marked read somehow.

Maybe somebody else experienced the same thing or experienced this in the past and knows how this happens and how to solve it?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: New mail marked as read while its not read yet

Usually it's caused due to the email was read with another IMAP client. If you don't have other clue yet, i suggest try to use only ONE imap client for some time to verify whether it occurs again.

I use Thunderbird on my desktop and the google mail app on my android phone. I suspect this Android mail app.  I will delete the account from my phone and see what that does and let you know here in a day or two.

Since I removed the iRedmail account from Android mail app the problem didn't occurred anymore. Why does this Mail app mark unread mail read while I didn't read it yet? The same mail app also has my Gmail account setup this works as it should why not also the iRedmail account? One server (gmail) works 100% okay and the iRedmail doesn't work the same way i like to know.

I like iRedmail also like the Android mail app and the push mail option. Would really like to keep using both but if unread messages get marked as read that's annoying.

Not sure why this app works this way, maybe it has some special setting to auto mark unread email as read?
iRedMail just offers IMAP/POP3 services to mail clients, how mail clients behavior (via pop3/imap) is not controlled by server.

I looked for settings up and down and everywhere if something wasn't set right.

What also maybe could have caused this is maybe me switching from my wifi to the mobile data connection on my phone wen i'm out of the house. Wen i'm on the mobile data connection the iRedmail server is not reachable anymore. I didn't set a NAT rule yet for the iRedmail server maybe this switch back and fort has something to do with it?

I didn't want to sound like i'm attacking iRedmail or anything I really like it a lot. So much better and faster then configuring and installing everything manually like I did before. Was just hoping somebody knew why this annoying thing happens.

Guido64 wrote:

What also maybe could have caused this is maybe me switching from my wifi to the mobile data connection on my phone wen i'm out of the house. Wen i'm on the mobile data connection the iRedmail server is not reachable anymore. I didn't set a NAT rule yet for the iRedmail server maybe this switch back and fort has something to do with it?

Mail could be marked as read via IMAP/POP3 protocol, Networking doesn't impact in this case.

Maybe contact app developer to report this possible bug?