Topic: SMTP Error (535): Authentication failed.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5-1
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I have migrated mail accounts from an old mail server,run all the ldap update scripts,i am able to login to the webmail on the new server,but when i test sending email from the webmail i get error:  SMTP Error (535): Authentication failed.

May 24 12:56:32 pop4 postfix/submission/smtpd[20087]: Anonymous TLS connection established from pop4.simbanet.co.tz[127.0.0.1]: TLSv1 with cipher 
May 24 12:56:34 pop4 postfix/submission/smtpd[20087]: warning: hostname[127.0.0.1]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6
May 24 12:56:34 pop4 roundcube: ERROR: Invalid response code received from server (535)

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SMTP Error (535): Authentication failed.

i turned on the debug mode dovecot and ldap below is what i  see

May 24 14:10:55 auth: Debug: ldap(user@domain.com,127.0.0.1): bind search: base=o=domains,dc=simbanet,dc=co,dc=tz filter=(&(objectClass=mailUser)(accountStatus=active)(enabledService=mail)(enabledService=smtpsecured)(|(mail=user@domain.com)(&(enabledService=shadowaddress)(shadowAddress=user@domain.com))))
May 24 14:10:55 auth: Debug: ldap(user@domain.com,127.0.0.1): no fields returned by the server
May 24 14:10:55 auth: Info: ldap(user@domain.com,127.0.0.1): unknown user
May 24 14:10:57 auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL    1       user=user@domain.com

any one with an input please?

It says "no fields returned by the server". that means no such user. Do you have any account matches below LDAP query filter?

Bozra wrote:

(&(objectClass=mailUser)(accountStatus=active)(enabledService=mail)(enabledService=smtpsecured)(|(mail=user@domain.com)(&(enabledService=shadowaddress)(shadowAddress=user@domain.com))))

i only edited the user on my below post,but the  actual user exists and i have logged in on webmail as that user.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

It says "no fields returned by the server". that means no such user. Do you have any account matches below LDAP query filter?

Bozra wrote:

(&(objectClass=mailUser)(accountStatus=active)(enabledService=mail)(enabledService=smtpsecured)(|(mail=user@domain.com)(&(enabledService=shadowaddress)(shadowAddress=user@domain.com))))

Thanks, i managed to find the cause after i run  ldap search on the real email account

ldapsearch -x -D 'cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com' -W "(mail=user@domain.com)

and then compared the result to ldap query filter,  i found that  the real email account was missing an attribute "enabledService=smtpsecured"

i  run update updateLDAPValues_061_to_070.py  and that sorted the problem.

Bozra wrote:

i only edited the user on my below post,but the  actual user exists and i have logged in on webmail as that user.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Bozra wrote: